Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless router or hub?  (Read 4717 times)

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
    Wireless router or hub?
    « on: March 31, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »
    I have 2 computers (XP) and had a router (Linksys) to connect the second computer (in another room) to the existing DSL connection - it was a phone line router that they don't make anymore.  It stopped working.  Now I know I have to buy another router, but do I buy another card for the second computer as well?  And a wireless router?  I keep seeing the directions to "connect the cable from the second computer to port 2" and that is not what I need.  Do I need a hub?  And how do I connect them?   I remember that at one time my son could print stuff from his computer into the printer next to me, that's what I want too.  Thanks. :)

ASlater

(Thanks to Everest Home Edition!) :D

This is my  Computer:
           Operating System      Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Motherboard:
          CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
          Motherboard Name                                  Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2
          Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Canterwood i875P/E7210
          System Memory                                     1024 MB  (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
          BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (02/19/04)
          Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
          Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM2)
          Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Storage:
          IDE Controller                                    Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
          SCSI/RAID Controller                              Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller

Network:
          Network Adapter            Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
          Network Adapter            Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter

pcdoc4christ

Re: Wireless router or hub?
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:08:22 PM »
    Aslater:

You should purchase an ADSL router that has at least two Ethernet ports.  You do not need a hub, as they slow down your network as you add more computers, but a wired router allows each computer to connect at its maximum speed.  

You can connect the router to one of the two Ethernet network adapter ports of the computer you mentioned (the port looks like a phone jack but is larger).  If the second computer has an Ethernet network adapter, you can connect it to the router, too.  You will need to purchase CAT 5 or CAT 6 Ethernet network cables (you can find them at most electronic retail stores).  

Both computers connected to the router with the cables can be configured to share printers and connect to the Internet through the router. The Windows XP Network Setup Wizard on both computers should get them connected to each other and the Internet through the router with little effort.

I'd also recommend purchasing a router that has a built-in hardware firewall to give you added protection. You should have no problem finding one that will connect at least four computers (more if it is both an Ethernet and wireless router).

Doc

« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 06:11:02 PM by pcdoc4christ »

burninginh2o

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:22:41 PM »
    I highly recommend the 2Wire 1701HG. Its an awesom dsl modem and wireless router with a 4port switch. It also has a good firewall.

Check it out. It's pretty awesome.

chudney

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 09:13:57 AM »
    verify all the connection are properly connected... the IP address the DNS......

just set the second computer to obtain(automatically)

and your server with the connection of DSL and printer if you like should be manually configured

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:32:15 PM »

You can connect the router to one of the two Ethernet network adapter ports of the computer you mentioned (the port looks like a phone jack but is larger).  If the second computer has an Ethernet network adapter, you can connect it to the router, too.  You will need to purchase CAT 5 or CAT 6 Ethernet network cables (you can find them at most electronic retail stores).  

I can't have a cable running from one room to the next, and there's no carpet to hide it under.  Will a wireless router work (I'm always in doubt, there are "black holes" inside my house)?  Will I have to buy another ethernet card for the other computer?  Thanks for the input!

ASlater

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:22:25 PM »
        aslater.....
        I can't have a cable running from one room to the next, and there's no carpet to hide it under.  Will a wireless router work (I'm always in doubt, there are "black holes" inside my house)?  Will I have to buy another ethernet card for the other computer?  Thanks for the input!

If you purchase a 4 port wireless router , it would be located in the room that your pc is located in .   You would run the telephone line into the ADSL modem , then a cat 5 cable to the imput of the wireless router, then a cat cable from one of the router outputs to the ethernet card in your pc. Then in the other pc ..... You would have to install a wireless ethernet adapter card...(unless there is one already installed) on the other pc.
        Once you get things going , you can create a network ....and be able to share the printer as well as share files if you wish.

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:20:34 PM »

If you purchase a 4 port wireless router , it would be located in the room that your pc is located in .   You would run the telephone line into the ADSL modem , then a cat 5 cable to the imput of the wireless router, then a cat cable from one of the router outputs to the ethernet card in your pc. Then in the other pc ..... You would have to install a wireless ethernet adapter card...(unless there is one already installed) on the other pc.
          Once you get things going , you can create a network ....and be able to share the printer as well as share files if you wish.

dl65  ::)

I got a wireless broadband Linksys router (with SRX200) and a PCI adapter for the other pc - it's a card with "speedbooster" since my son's into gaming.  I stayed with Linksys because it's what I know and it's worked for me - besides, they're not rude to me when I asked for help.

And thanks for everyone's help, I don't like showing up at the store and be completely clueless - sometimes I'm sold stuff that I don't really need. :D

ASlater

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 04:34:41 PM »
          ASlater:

Come back and see us any time.

:)