Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB prob  (Read 6412 times)

yuggypete

USB prob
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:12:29 PM »
 All my USB ports are working fine up till 2 days ago, after installing the windows update, all my USB prots suddenly cannot work.

When i go to device manager, it says my 2 USB root hub, Standard openHCD USB Host Controller, and standard enhanced PCI to USB host Controller are enabled and working properly. but no matter what USB device i plug in, still cannot detect.

AMD 3500+ venice
Asus A8n VM CSM
1 gig ram
Seagate 200gig SATA
WIN XP PRO SP2

what ever happened to my usb ports?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:12:54 PM by yuggypete »

Perfect Agent52

Hopeful
  • Give them nothing, but take from them everything
    Re: USB prob
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 05:28:56 AM »
    The update may have disabled it, go back to the update before the last, then see what happens.
    HP Pavilion A6010n
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.80 ghz
    XFX Nvidia 7600gt PCI-E graphics card
    2 GB Kingston DDR2 SDRAM PC4200
    Antec 500W PSU

yuggypete

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »
    The update may have disabled it, go back to the update before the last, then see what happens.
    i used system restore, but to no avail

i unisnstalled the updates through CCleaner, but still to no avail.

lastly, i tried reformat, but the USB ports still can't detect my devices, even though device manager says all are fine, enabled, and running.

what may be the problem?

lordvader781

Intermediate
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 07:53:44 PM »
      Same thing happened to me just the other day.  Check your BIOS settings to see if your usb ports have been disabled.  That's what I did and it worked.

yuggypete

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 02:12:27 AM »
      Same thing happened to me just the other day.  Check your BIOS settings to see if your usb ports have been disabled.  That's what I did and it worked.
      i checked my bios and hi-speed USB are enabled.
      should i reset my bios?

p.s. i bought this PC @ april fools day. is this meant to be a joke? =(

lordvader781

Intermediate
        « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 01:32:04 AM »
        I don't think you'd want to reset your BIOS settings.  It might disable devices that you don't want it to.  When you say "can't detect", do you mean that the system knows you've plugged a device in, but doesn't know what it is, or that it doesn't know that something is plugged into one of the ports?  If it's the latter, there's a chance that ports  aren't getting any power because of a bad connection.
        « Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 01:34:56 AM by lordvader781 »

yuggypete

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 03:18:45 AM »
        I don't think you'd want to reset your BIOS settings.  It might disable devices that you don't want it to.  When you say "can't detect", do you mean that the system knows you've plugged a device in, but doesn't know what it is, or that it doesn't know that something is plugged into one of the ports?  If it's the latter, there's a chance that ports  aren't getting any power because of a bad connection.

thanks for reply.

when i plug in my USB external HDD or thumbdrive, the power light shows green, but mt computer doesn't detect new hardware, or in this case, a new usb device. so i doubt it's a power prob.

any remedies?

lordvader781

Intermediate
          « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 10:34:21 PM »
          When you say format, you don't mean you reformated your hard drive, do you?  That would seem a little drastic or extreme to me.  I don't think you would have, but just making sure.  Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for your USB ports?  The drivers may have become corrupted when you installed the Windows update.  For the system restore, how far did you go back?  You might want to do a restore back to a further date just to be safe.

bai1_katz

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 10:55:35 PM »
          try to update ur operating system in winxp service pact 2...sometimes winxp is nt compatible with that version of usb.. for me im using winxp srvice pack 2,.usb 2.0.....

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
            « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 10:58:37 PM »
            When you say format, you don't mean you reformated your hard drive, do you?  That would seem a little drastic or extreme to me.  I don't think you would have, but just making sure

I think he may mean Restore, but if he formatted and had backups he'd be OK...
            "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

yuggypete

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:17:49 AM »
            When you say format, you don't mean you reformated your hard drive, do you?
            yeah. clean reinstall of windows XP pro  
            Have you tried reinstalling the drivers for your USB ports?  The drivers may have become corrupted when you installed the Windows update.
            yep. i uninstalled the drivers in device manager, restart, let device manager auto detect/reinstall, but still no good.
            For the system restore, how far did you go back?  You might want to do a restore back to a further date just to be safe.
            i restored it to the day of my 1st clean install.

I think he may mean Restore, but if he formatted and had backups he'd be OK...
            i also restored using norton ghost image but my usb still can't detect...
            « Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 09:19:04 AM by yuggypete »

lordvader781

Intermediate
              « Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 04:48:52 PM »
              try to update ur operating system in winxp service pact 2...sometimes winxp is nt compatible with that version of usb.. for me im using winxp srvice pack 2,.usb 2.0.....
              I don't see how your ports could be incompatible with your system if they have been working fine since April 1st when you got the computer.  Wouldn't the ports already be compatible with the system if you bought it already assembled with parts that work together?

yuggypete

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 03:53:43 AM »
              yes lordvader. when i bought and assembled the whole PC, my usb ports are fine and healthy. but after updating my windows, all my usb ports are dead.

a case of an april fool's joke?  ::)

lordvader781

Intermediate
                « Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 04:59:14 PM »
                yes lordvader. when i bought and assembled the whole PC, my usb ports are fine and healthy.
                Are you saying that you assembled the computer yourself, or that you just set it up (ex. plugging in keyboard, mouse, etc)?  Even if you didn't there's a small chance that the ports may not be sitting in place correctly.  It might be sitting right just enough for power, but not for actual transmitting of data.  This would seem unlikely though, as none of your ports are functioning.  

I was wondering if there might have been a storm or some power surge, like an air conditioner shutting off, a short time after you installed the updates.  Increases in the current, even small amounts, can have bad effects on a computer if you don't have a surge protector.  If you already have one, then this won't apply to you.  If neither of these are the case, then I don't no what else to say.

yuggypete

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 05:18:01 PM »
                yes lordvader. when i bought and assembled the whole PC, my usb ports are fine and healthy.
                Are you saying that you assembled the computer yourself, or that you just set it up (ex. plugging in keyboard, mouse, etc)?  Even if you didn't there's a small chance that the ports may not be sitting in place correctly.  It might be sitting right just enough for power, but not for actual transmitting of data.  This would seem unlikely though, as none of your ports are functioning.  

I was wondering if there might have been a storm or some power surge, like an air conditioner shutting off, a short time after you installed the updates.  Increases in the current, even small amounts, can have bad effects on a computer if you don't have a surge protector.  If you already have one, then this won't apply to you.  If neither of these are the case, then I don't no what else to say.

yes. there has been storms (lightning strikes alot) when i was installing the updates. i doubt its the ports seating fault.
                power surge? how can this be possible?  :-?