Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blurry images...  (Read 3870 times)

lindaloups

Blurry images...
« on: April 22, 2006, 09:34:46 AM »
Hi!

I had a very small image on my computer I made larger; but now it is very blurry: How can I clear it or make it sharper?
I've gone into "Paint," but cannot seem to find this option?

Thanks! :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Blurry images...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »
Probably nothing you can do about it.  You can take a large image and make it smaller and not lose image quality but the opposite is not true.  When you enlarge a small image, you're going to lose quality.  

That's why it's a good idea to always keep original photos if you're going to make a smaller version of it.  Then, you can always go back to the original if you need a larger image size.

lindaloups

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 01:35:02 PM »
Okay  :(  Thanks. I could have sworn, though, that I saw an option for this and I sharpened an image before...

May I ask another question?  How do I clean my computer?  I mean, I've *never* done anything to clean it up (the system, Imean, not the outside :)). I've had it two years  :o  I remember someone told me a long time ago to "defrag" (??) or something? I hope that's the right word  :D  Anyway, whether that's it or not, how do I do maintenance on my computer? I imagine there is some sort of program on it or a procedure?  

Thanks!

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 02:07:43 PM »
1. Download CCleaner: www.ccleaner.com  Run it.
2. Start>Programs>Accesories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup
3.   ||   >      ||     >       ||     >       ||         > Disk Defragmenter (click "defragment")

Do you have antivirus, antispyware, and a firewall?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 02:13:13 PM »
See this page for links to good tools for cleaning your system: http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

Hopefully, you at least have anti-virus softare already installed; if not, get one of the ones listed on the above link immediately and scan your system.  As stated on the page, do not install more than one firewall; get one or the other, not both.  You can, and should, use more than one anti-spyware program.  And, under the section that page titled Removal tools, I suggest you just get CCleaner now.  You may need the others, but you may not.  

And, yes, there are tools within Windows to help keep your system optimized.  One of them is Disk Cleanup (under Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools); another is Disk Defragmenter.  

To summarize a sequence of procedures for cleanup:
  • Scan for viruses (update your anti-virus software if necessary)
  • Download, install, and run at least 2 of the anti-spyware programs
  • Download and install a firewall if you don't already have one (Note: If you have Windows Firewall running, disable it if you install one of the recommended firewalls on the referenced page; do not run two firewalls, they can conflict; Windows Firewall is better than no firewall, but it does not provide as much protection as the two recommended ones)
  • Install CCleaner and run it (Note that the download includes a Yahoo toolbar; you can elect not to install that during the installation of CCleaner; I also suggest you view the CCleaner demo on their site to get familiar with it before using it)
  • After all this, there's probably no need to run Disk Cleanup; however, no harm in doing so
  • Run Disk Defragmenter
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 02:18:31 PM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 08:46:12 AM »
Be sure and uncheck the option for the Yahoo toolbar. No need for this kind of "convenience" nonsense.   ;)

lindaloups

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:17:47 AM »
thanks, Guys! I'm pretty dense (okay, a complete idiot) when it comes to computers, so I will probably be back with more questions...if you don't mind  :-[

I will attempt some of your suggestions and see what I come up against :)

I have this system that comes up every few days where it is, I guess, doing some sort of maintenance (I'll post the exact name when it comes up again  :-[); but it asks me to make decisions whether to delete, exclude, finish, etc., and I have NO IDEA what to do...so I just close it  :-/  Even when I try to learn what each item is, it's ridiculous to try to understand: I am left afraid to do anything, so I do nothing  :(
My computer is ready to blow  :D...I'm pretty sure of it   :-?