Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formatting not supported ???  (Read 4645 times)

bacardigirl1982

Formatting not supported ???
« on: August 26, 2004, 06:26:56 AM »
I've been trying to format my husband's computer for a little while now, never had any problems with formats before i've done mine numerous times and his old computer too. But on this one everytime i try to format is says ( format is not supported on drive C: ) i was wondering if someone some where could help me and guide me on what to do.

Thank you,
                  [glb] Bacardi !! [/glb]:-*

Raptor

Re: Formatting not supported ???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 06:49:30 AM »
You could try to use a bootdisk to format.

What operating system are you planning on installing? If you use Windows XP as a boot CD-ROM, you can format from there.

bacardigirl1982

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 06:56:12 AM »
I'm using Windows Xp pro SP1.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 06:59:11 AM »
Use Windows XP as a boot CD-ROM and select the install option. Should allow you to choose a harddrive/partition you wish to format and/or install Windows XP on.

bacardigirl1982

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 07:17:09 AM »
Thanks, i will try that to see if it works.

bacardigirl1982

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 08:00:23 AM »
ok did it but it didnt format i dont have that option on the disc, i dont have anything on my desktop but still everything in my harddrive in the folders

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 08:12:36 AM »
Did you use the Windows XP CD-ROM as a boot disk?

Before you install Windows XP (IF used as a bootdisk) it will warn you that there are allready files installed and if you wish to format the harddrive/partitions or select another one.

bacardigirl1982

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 10:51:34 AM »
I tried it and still did not work, i'm starting to give up on this computer. Mine never gave me so much trouble. When i boot from the disc it shows me some ntfs files but i cant do anything, if i try format from the prompt tells me it cant and i have to dismount.. i say yes but still wont let me do it .

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 12:30:00 PM »
I assume you have set your CD-ROM as a first boot device and then inserted the Windows XP CD-ROM. You did not quite answer that question. If you attempt to format whilst loading the CD-ROM from Windows, the station will most likely be in use.

Can you not unmount this harddisk, set it to slave and then install it on your computer to see if it will format from there?

merlin_2

bacardigirl1982

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 06:23:05 PM »
Tried that sais that format is not supported on c:

2k dummy

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 10:09:51 PM »
Get a win98 boot disk with cdrom support, copy debug.exe to it. Boot from the floppy and follow the directions here. http://www.computerhope.com/rdebug.htm#4
You WILL lose all data on the drive and will have to fdisk and format.
A word of caution
If there is more than one HD in the computer disconnect the second drive first. A mistake can wipe out the wrong drive.

jonah

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 11:28:02 PM »
That's why I have an external USB drive! When I'm paranoid about it I can pull the cable without opening the PC. Also, all my data files are on the external drive (I think/hope! :D). My Apps are on the C: drive.