Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new ram wont work  (Read 3558 times)

drew callahan

new ram wont work
« on: August 26, 2004, 06:39:46 PM »
i just installed a new stick of ram, but when i turned my comp on the sreen went blue and i got an error message. is there any thing i need to do before hand to make it work properly?

jonah

Re: new ram wont work
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 11:15:34 PM »
What motherboard, system, type of RAM, bus speed, etc. Certain types of RAM are not compatible with some mother boards, plus some types/speeds aren't compatible. I'm afraid the you can't just put any RAM on board.

P.S. What was the message? Were there any beeps?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 11:17:54 PM by jonah »

drew callahan

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 12:09:58 AM »
im not sure what type of mother board i have, im runing win xp, its 128mb sdram. i checked my motherboard manual and i got the right type of ram for it.

i dont recall any beebs, and i dont remember exactly what the message said.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 12:40:03 AM »
    drew callahan........Perhaps you could tell us what ram you have installed that works......is it SD or DDR and what speed  etc. Is it registered or non registered , is it buffered or unbuffered . Ram is very fiddly it must be exactly right or it will not work . What you should do is reboot your pc with just the 128 that works .......then shut down  and remove the good stick of 128 and install the new stick ......then reboot and listen for the beep or beeps you hear .......and let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

jonah

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 01:44:40 AM »
    Read this:

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/ram.htm

This should give you an idea.
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 01:47:18 AM by jonah »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 04:51:17 AM »
    Did you take the proper precautions before installing?
    Did you go above the maximum amount of RAM that the mainboard can work with?