Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no display or boot screen  (Read 3091 times)

subfusca

no display or boot screen
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:24:25 PM »
My computer has been working great for several months, when one day I noticed the fans/HDs were running but the display signal would not return when I wiggled the mouse (optical; there was no red light underneath); the computer had been left running beforehand.  Anyway, I manually reset it and it booted back up just fine.  A week later however, the computer did the exact same thing, and now it acts like it is booting up (fans etc. start) but there is no display, every time I try.  Also there is a fancy blue light that shines out the front of the case that also won't light up anymore.

I ruled out the monitor (using another computer).  I pulled out my agp video card and tried the onboard video. No luck.  I tried to reset CMOS by pulling out the battery for a few minutes. nothing. I disconnected and reconnected everything. Nothing.  Then I diconnected everything except psu, cpu, ram.  And after than I tried a different cpu in the motherboard, and it still won't boot up . .  

The only thing I can think of would be either the motherboard or the psu.  Any suggestions?

ITTechnician

Re: no display or boot screen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
well you did a good job troubleshootin give yourself a pat on the back. good job
Thats everything I would have recommended.
BUT one las thing.
My aunt had this same problem her machine would boot but no display. i fix it in 2 minutes.

Turn your brightness up o your monitor and the reast of the stuff for you display to.
This is pretty much what I can think of since you did everthing else

homer

Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:18:42 PM »
    hey subfusca,

when u said u tested the mothboard monitor jack, did u still have ur agp video card removed? because when some hardware is simply removed, and not uninstalled, it might give u a plain black screen. im saying this because, when i got rid of dial up, i simply yanked out my modem, and my monitor went black. i had to actually uninstall the modem first before removing it. with this being said, u might have caused a problem trying to solve the initial problem. u might want to put back ALL of ur hardware, even the video card, and then test the motherboard monitor jack. then if that works and ur video card doesnt, u know ur video card is fried.  unless uve done all this and i just wasted 10 minutes of my time.  :P

subfusca

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 12:34:06 PM »
    thanx guys.  i actually tried the onboard video before i pulled the vid. card--which works fine when i switch it to another computer.  :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 04:37:27 PM »
    Turn your brightness up o your monitor and the reast of the stuff for you display to. This is pretty much what I can think of since you did everthing else

Disregard this rubbish.

It's down to most likely motherboard or power supply. Do you have a known good, spare PSU laying about to check with.

subfusca

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 11:59:41 AM »
    Ok.  It's got to be the motherboard.  I swapped the psu and the problem remains.  After I replace it, I will let you know if it works.