Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building New Computer...Desparately Need Help With  (Read 3235 times)

MdDg37

Building New Computer...Desparately Need Help With
« on: August 27, 2004, 05:09:13 AM »
Putting together a new computer and would really appreciate help with my CD/DVD drive decision.

I am putting together a dual drive and, not having done a lot of burning before am not sure what the better option would be:

A. 48X CD-RW and 16X DVD+RW/R
-or-
B. 16X DVD Rom and 16X DVD+RW/R

On the one hand I can see the advantage of the second (B.) choice (16X DVD ROM) as it can read both CDs and DVDs at speeds of 48X and 16X respectively...and with second drive already a burner, not a big deal...this would allow direct burning (right?).

On the other hand, the 48X CD-RW can burn at a rate of 32X as opposed to the second drive's (16X DVD+RW/R's) CD burn speed of 24X...so a little faster when burning CDs (yes or is this negligible?).

What am I missing here...which route would you recommend? (Price is basically the same for both combinations).

Thank you very much...your help is very much appreciated!

Raptor

Re: Building New Computer...Desparately Need Help
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 05:21:01 AM »
Is the DVD-ROM player capable of reading CD-ROM disks?

I suggest you install both CD-ROM and DVD-ROM players.. Your operating system consist most likely of a CD-ROM. Not to mention that there are still many applications that require a CD-ROM player.