Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player online viewing problem  (Read 2591 times)

Oscah

Windows Media Player online viewing problem
« on: May 15, 2006, 02:31:49 PM »
Hey!

I'm having some problems when I want to watch videos through Windows media player online (i've tried IE, FF, Opera). When I go to some online viewing site, www.maniatv.com for example, I only see a black box instead of the video. All I receive are some short messages at the statusbar saying:

Connecting to media
Attempting to reconnect
Stopped

I have a router and I'm not sure if I have to open some port to get this working?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows Media Player online viewing problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:56:52 PM »
Do you have a firewall installed? Which version of WMP are you using? Which operating system are you using? Did this work on this computer before?

Flame

Oscah

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:07:52 PM »
There's a firewall in the router. I'm using WMP 10. I'm using Win XP SP2. I think that this might have worked before the router was installed.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:44:08 PM »
I'm watching it right now, WinXP SP2, connected to my D-Link DI-524 router.  And, no doubt, thousands of others using a router can view it.  

Does the rest of that web page display OK on your computer?  When you installed your router, did you set certain settings for it via the admin panel?

I wonder if an item in your Hosts file could be blocking the streaming media portion of that website.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:44:35 PM by soybean »