Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: you get a 12o gig hard drive  (Read 3057 times)

ruprecht1

you get a 12o gig hard drive
« on: May 20, 2006, 08:34:52 PM »
how do you get a 120 gig hard drive two work with windows 98.

GX1_Man

Re: you get a 12o gig hard drive
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 09:21:47 PM »
Specific on the machine may be helpful. YOu may have a BIOS limitation or the standard 32 gig limitation with FAT32 unless you know how to overcome it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 07:10:50 AM by GX1_Man »

homer

Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 12:20:03 AM »
    im pretty sure u cant do it, i tried formatting a 160 gig hd with win98 and it just wouldnt work  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Maksim

Hopeful
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 09:31:40 AM »
      The maximum copacity that the Windows 98 will understand is 100 G.B. MAX and that is it.. that is why it is higher than 100 g.b. try to install XP or some other operating system. and try it.. I had the same problem.. Good Luck...

herbalist

Rookie
      • resident paranoid
        « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 06:57:40 PM »
        A couple questions. Is this an internal or external drive? If internal, is it to be the only hard drive?
        I just added an 80gb external drive to my 98 unit. Bios limitations prevented me from using an internal drive. USB drivers were necessary, but it does work without the newer version of USB. The FDISK utility that comes with 98 couldn't deal with the 80gb drive, under-reported the size. A newer version of FDISK is available. Don't have the link handy but do have the file if you need it. Instead of using straight DOS mode to partition it, used the FDISK utility in a DOS window. Worked well.
        If the drive is an internal drive, your BIOS probably won't allow it. You'll be able to tell if your BIOS reports the size correctly. Mine didn't. If it's an external, you might be able to use it, even if windows has trouble with the size. You'd need to partition it into smaller sections, say 3 40gb partitions. Only way you can tell is if the new FDISK utility reports the right size when used in a DOS window.
        Hope this helps.
        Rick