Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media Player and other things....  (Read 8469 times)

That_Guy

Media Player and other things....
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:25:18 PM »
I recently installed XP over ME. Now since then I have had problems with viewing internet pages.

(prob 1)Well after I installed the new version of Media Player 9 it now says "An internal Application Error has Occured." I've tried to install it again with no luck.

(prob 2) Also when I try to open Help and Support, it never opens. It doesn't even say anything, no reaction. The same goes with System Restore.

Now I've tried to get to Window's Update and I was able to get SP2.

(prob 3)But since then I only get blank screens with many of Mcsft's webpages. I can't even get thier phone #s and email cause the pages are blank. Also some links and buttons that I press have no reaction to them. I was just lucky that this site did.
I have attempted to reinstall XP but it won't allow me since the version on my comp. is newer then the one on the disk since I was able to get some updates.
PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEE.

Thanks in advance,

TGY

Raptor

Re: Media Player and other things....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 04:06:11 AM »
Did you overwrite or upgrade Windows XP?

If you have a full version of Windows XP and you simply installed that over a copy of Windows ME, you are better off formatting. However if it was an upgrade I suggest you scan for viruses, trojans and spyware.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 12:45:47 PM »
they all seem to be related to intrnet explorer 6 have a look here>http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm if this does not solve it >this might>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 12:46:44 PM by merlin_2 »

That_Guy

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 04:54:21 PM »
Posted by: Raptor:

What I bought and used was an XP Upgrade. I don't ever recall seeing a "Format" option nor do I see one now.
Part of these problems is the fact that my Norton Antivirus status shows to be unknown. I can't find it nor is the icon on the system tray. I have System Works which comes with antivirus and have  tried to un/reinstall it with no luck. Not to menton that a lotof the 'Works scanners show that they are not installed. I tried to install all the Symantec updates but one of them refuses to install itself.

Posted by: merlin_2

I will try these out and get back to you guys along with Raptor's suggestion. Thanks for the help, I will try anything.

TGY

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 05:13:59 AM »
Format

If you wish to format, you should use Windows XP as a boot disk. You donot require to install Windows ME prior to installing to installing windows XP. it should accept your Windows ME disk as a proper authorization before it installs.

You can format and create new partitions using the Windows XP bootdisk.

Use this as a last resort. Or if you wish to start overnew entirely.

That_Guy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 04:31:46 PM »
Well I used a variety of Ad/Spyware(Spycleaner which I got form Download.com) progarms.
While cleaning this out, it showed a "hijacker" and some other things. Shortly after that I looked trough Symantec's site and  discovered a troubleshooting piece about script. I downloaded Window's Script 5.6(?). After restarting my computer all the pages and functions returned not to mention the Media Player.
I ran the Ad/Spyware progarms just before I did the download so I can't say which one really fixed it or a combo of both. I did try several diffirent Ad/Spy versions which all found something.
I'm glad these worked because I was really ready to give up. All I can say is thanks to the both you, without your ideas I would have given up.

Thanks!

TGY