Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to reload OS  (Read 2112 times)

Rupununi

unable to reload OS
« on: June 23, 2006, 06:31:38 AM »
Hi from Guyana South America,
my computer is giving me all manners of problems. I have backed up all my files and would like totally format my harddrive and reinstall xp.  the problem I am having is that my computer refuses to boot from the cd.  when I try to auto run it from mycomputer, I get a message telling me the version of windows that is installed is newer than the disk.  My disk is xp pro sp1.  
any help would be greatly appreciated.

GX1_Man

Re: unable to reload OS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »
Put in the CD and restart the computer. When it say "Press any key to boot from CD" then do so. Format the drive and reinstall. There you go.  ;)

If possible, load SP2, turn on the firewall and install some Antivirus before even connecting the wire to access the internet.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 02:57:37 PM by GX1_Man »

Rupununi

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 07:07:09 AM »
 Hi Sarge,
If I had a dime for every time I've tried that I'd buy a new computer and throw this one over the hill.  I'm wondering now if I uninstall sp2 if that will totally mess things up or can I try that as a last resort.  XP has been acting rather funny for a while , but have been able to live with it till now. any other suggestions? :-/

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 07:17:21 AM »
Autorunning it is not the solution because of the problem you described. You cannot do what you need from a running Windows installation.

Can you set it in the BIOS to boot from the CD before the hard drive? That is the answer. I am taking it that you have a real XP CD rather than some sort of restore disc. These are all bootable IF the machine has the correct boot order. It doesn't matter what has been previously loaded on the machine.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 07:17:57 AM by GX1_Man »