Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP Registry problem during SW installation  (Read 8771 times)

Kostan

Win XP Registry problem during SW installation
« on: September 04, 2004, 07:27:57 AM »
Hello.
My O/S is Windows XP Home.
While installing  a Symantec's retail CD, NIS 2004,  I got an Error 1406 "Could not write value <registry key information>" so I could not install it.
After checking with Symantec I was told in order to fix the problem I needed to assign Full Control to the "Administrator" in the registry so that I can install the CD.

I opened the Registry Editor and I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE* to assign permissions, in Permissions for SOFTWARE in the Security tab where it says Group or User names, all I found was a Group or User names "Everyone" and no "Administrators" or any other.
On my PC there is only one user account "My name ( Computer Administrator)".
Does anyone  know how can I add the user "Administrators (My Computer name\Administrators)" in the  registry key above* and then assign permissions?  ???Thank You

Raptor

Re:  Win XP Registry problem during SW instal
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 08:33:07 AM »
Can you not select the Administrator account in safe mode and install it from there?

Kostan

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 09:58:46 AM »
Hello Raptor.
Thank you for the advice. :)
Can you install NIS 2004 in safe mode?I don't think you can.I'll have a go anyway and post the results

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 10:07:01 AM »
The reason I asked was because I seem to have (or had) an additional administrator account on top of my (personalized) administrator account when booting into safe-mode.

I have yet to see if it is still there after formatting.

Kostan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 01:19:13 AM »
Hello again,
thank you  Raptor for your advice and suggestions.
I tried all?? possible solutions: adding (even in Safe Mode) administrator as user,administrators as groups but nothing worked.
I'm taking NIS back for one of the following: ???

Antigen (by Sybari),  Authentium, avast, AVG Anti-Virus 7.0,  Bullguard, DrWeb32, eScan, eTrust,  F-secure, GFI Mail Security,  H+BEDV's Antivirus, Kaspersky, Mcafee, NAV,  NetZ Antiviral Utilities (Invircible), NOD32, Norman, Trend Micro, Panda, Protector Plus, Quick Heal, RAV Antivirus (GeCAD is gone to MS!), SRN Solo antivirus, Sophos,  SurfinGuard, Synbridge Anti-Virus, V3Pro 2002 Deluxe (by Ahnlab), Vet Antivirus, Vexira Antivirus,  ViRobot Expert, VirusBuster or even get one of the free ones ( ANTIDOTE for PC Viruses - SuperLite, AntiVir Personal Edition, AVG free, VCatch Basic) ???

For a firewall I'll use Win XP's after SP2!!  ;)

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 04:10:37 AM »
I donot think that even Windows XP SP2 Firewall will be as effective as a firewall created by a company that specializes in security software.

I recommend Sygate Personal Firewall Pro. As for a virus scan , I think Kaspersky is a very good choice. I believe Kaspersky Virus Scan also comes with an (Optional) Firewall.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 01:41:34 PM »
that one problem with winxp...login this that...when you first load winxp and it ask for password etc just click ok...the login box  goes away never to be seen again and it will boot to the desktop no users ..login...you need now to take  control of your pc >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q308/4/18.asp&NoWebContent=1