Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trouble reinstalling windows XP after reformat.  (Read 7416 times)

Korastiz

Trouble reinstalling windows XP after reformat.
« on: September 05, 2004, 03:14:18 PM »
Today I reformatted my hard drive after experiencing very slow conditions and when trying to reinstall windows XP I received the error message NTLDR missing press ctrl+alt+delete to restart. I then read that to access the windows cd i need to press a key immediately to prevent the NTLDR error message from appearing. However once I have accessed the cd and try to install windows it displays the message "Setup could not read the CD you inserted, or the CD is not a valid Windows CD". I am completely stumped as to how to reinstall windows and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Matt

merlin_2

Re: Trouble reinstalling windows XP after reformat
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 03:24:24 PM »
is this an upgrade disk.>common problem>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314057 this system should load and then display silly messages...that what the user pays for...you may have to re-build winxp...like format your hard drive win98/se boot disk load win98/se then place the winxp upgrade disk in..
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 03:30:36 PM by merlin_2 »

Korastiz

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 04:12:42 PM »
No, the cd I'm using is the full version of windows XP as far as I know. I own both a copy of windows XP Home and Professional and it can't read either of them.

Raptor

« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 04:26:36 PM by Raptor »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 09:20:06 PM »
    Korastiz.....Ok lets run through this again......
    By some method , you formatted your hard drive .....
    so I assume you removed any partitions and then formatted. Now the hard drive is empty.....so we shut down......insert our Win 98 bootdisk in floppy drive A: and start up .......after the cd drivers load and the A: prompt appears you typed D: ( or whatever your cd drive is ) then when it gave you the D: prompt you inserted the win xp or xp pro disk into the cd drive and typed .....either setup or install ( forget which one ) and windows will load ..........pour yourself a coffee and sit back and wait for it to load.........it will partition the drive as NTFS and load up .    Once its loaded reinstall your anti virus......go on line and go to Windows update and get them or d/l and install SP2 and your done .

let us know how you make out.
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 09:07:25 AM »
    No, the cd I'm using is the full version of windows XP as far as I know. I own both a copy of windows XP Home and Professional and it can't read either of them.

How did you do the formatting, with a bootdiskette or with the XP CD?

Which format command did you use? (format c: /FS:NTFS)

Have you tried the official Microsoft XP Home & Professional bootdisk sets? Click the first link below.

You will need six formatted floppy diskettes for each set.
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 09:08:57 AM by Mac »