Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Messaging on LAN  (Read 10649 times)

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Messaging on LAN
    « on: July 08, 2006, 12:59:30 PM »
    I'm familiar with AIM for Instant Messaging. It requires Internet access to function. I have several computers (running WIN98SE, and WIN2000) set up on a local network.

Does anyone know of a software program I can use to do Instant Messaging from one of these computers to another, without going through the Internet? Or is there any way built in to Windows that I could accomplish this?
    Tom

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Messaging on LAN
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 02:21:54 PM »
    Take a look at NetMeeting.  It's available on all Windows computers, and it works without an Internet-based server.  It's has the features of Instant Messaging and more.  See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/

Arc

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 02:28:41 PM »
      You've got to stop taking life so seriously;

or you'll never make it out alive

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:37:17 PM »
      Ah, Viper, you do me proud!  ;D

<----------------

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 05:39:19 PM »
        Take a look at NetMeeting.  It's available on all Windows computers, and it works without an Internet-based server.  It's has the features of Instant Messaging and more.  See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/
        Thanks, I'll do that. If i have problems, I'll shout.
        Tom

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 06:13:24 AM »
        If you want a super-delux industry standard client-server instant messaging system, that's free, investigate Jabber.  I currently deploy the ejabberd Jabber server and the Psi Jabber client.  The server can be tricky to set up, but I have ejabberd running on a Linux server, integrated with Active Directory on Windows SBS 2003 and Windows XP on all the workstations.  Works a treat.  Popup messaging, instant chat, conference rooms, etc.
        « Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:13:38 AM by robpomeroy »
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »
          I found, and installed, NetMeeting on 2 of the computers that are connected. It looks like that program would do what I want, but I can't get it to work. I am unable to enter the name of the server in the Windows Address Book, since none of the connected computers act as a Server. They are merely connected as part of a network. As a result, no names are in the address book

How can I identify the computers in a way that will satisfy Windows Address Book; or how can I avoid using WAB in order to identify the computer I want to contact?
          Tom

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
            « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 02:12:12 PM »
            I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »
              Might try this:

http://www.dailysofts.com/program/852/15702/Lanconference.html

Alan <><  :o
              The description of the program looks promising. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to download it. I even googled it to find other sites. There were plenty, but none of them let me downlaod the program. Looks like the company may have gone belly-up, or been bought by Yahoo.
              Tom

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 08:46:37 PM »
              I found, and installed, NetMeeting on 2 of the computers that are connected. It looks like that program would do what I want, but I can't get it to work. I am unable to enter the name of the server in the Windows Address Book, since none of the connected computers act as a Server. They are merely connected as part of a network. As a result, no names are in the address book

How can I identify the computers in a way that will satisfy Windows Address Book; or how can I avoid using WAB in order to identify the computer I want to contact?
              Tom
              Windows Address Book hsd nothing to do with it.  Where did you get that notion?  Do this look familiar?

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 07:09:54 AM »

[/quote]Windows Address Book hsd nothing to do with it.  Where did you get that notion?  Do this look familiar?

[/quote]

It sure do- And that is exactly as far as I can get. The difference between the screen you how, and the one I get is that mine shows "Not in a call" at the bottom. My problem at this point is how do I start a call? How do I identify the computer I want to reach?. There are only 2 computers connected.

And as to where I got the idea about the ddress Book, it seemed a logical way to put the name of a computer into play.
                Tom

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
                  « Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 10:17:19 AM »
                  Tom,

If you shoot me your email address I'll send you a zipped file with the Lanconference program (it's only 827kb) .

Mine is:            [email protected]

Alan <><     ;D
                  I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

soybean

Genius
                  « Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
                  I have a Win XP computer networked with a Win 98SE computer, via a D-Link DI-524 router.  To "call" from XP to 98SE, I enter 192.168.0.101 in the To: box of the Place A Call panel.  To call from the 98SE comp to  XP, I enter 192.168.0.100 in the To: box of the Place A Call panel.  

If you were using NetMeeting over the Internet, you would enter the IP address of the remote computer.

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 01:20:07 PM »
                    I have a Win XP computer networked with a Win 98SE computer, via a D-Link DI-524 router.  To "call" from XP to 98SE, I enter 192.168.0.101 in the To: box of the Place A Call panel.  To call from the 98SE comp to  XP, I enter 192.168.0.100 in the To: box of the Place A Call panel.  

That sounds reasonable. I tried it, and it doesn't seem to work. I can'treally tell at the moment, though, because the computer I'm calling has no one at it, and I'm running back and forth between them. There doesn't seem to be any indication at the computer being called that anyone is tring to contact them.
                    I'll know more later.
                    Tom

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »
                    From a Command Prompt type ipconfig /all and hit Enter...this should report each machine's address on the network.

patio.   8-)
                    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "