Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Freezes  (Read 15262 times)

Raptor

Re: Windows XP Freezes
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 10:21:15 AM »
I think it would be better for you if you return the PC and perhaps talk them into a temporary replacement. You may void warranty and be even further from home.

As for your BIOS, perhaps most of the options are hidden so that people who donot know what they're doing are protected from theirselves.

Is there no technical support avaible from where you ordered the PC?

Andrew Ray

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 11:27:27 AM »
i sent the govconnection site something and i've been e-mailing them back and forth, and nothing has helped there, his final suggestion was full system recovery, which i'm going to try now... i'll keep you updated on how it goes

Andrew Ray

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 12:31:12 PM »
They're telling me to use a system recovery cd (which i assume is this "operating system cd", as "system recovery cd" appears on nothing)... i have no idea how to do this, i have no idea at all, i booted from it, it asked for a disk, i cancelled that because they didn't give me a disk either, then it did a bunch of crap for 10 minutes, copied some files or something, then it asked me if i wanted to install windows or do a recovery, i picked recovery, it asked me which one i wanted to do i picked 1 (the only one) it asked for my username, password, adminstrator password, i did all that and it just gave me a command prompt, WOW HOW HELPFUL THAT WAS!! i can use dos if i need a command prompt, i just don't know how in the world a commant prompt works in fixing my *censored* computer, wow that was sooo helpful, and great too!! fantastic!! what the heck am i supposed to do? this is getting ridiculous, do i just reinstall windows? if i do will these other recovery cds (driver and application) work? i'm never buying a compaq again, i'll tell you that.

Andrew Ray

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 02:03:28 PM »
well, i'll describe that as unaffective at best, i did the recovery thing, it asked me if i wanted to reinstall windows or repair, i chose repair, it loaded crap for 30 minutes, it rebooted, it did more stuff, it told me i was done, it froze, i restarted, it's still running slow... .the processor is still running at 797 MHz, and it is noticeably running slow, as it has been for the past day or two, before i had just noticed it was running slow, now it's clear that it is... if i format the hard drive, can i install windows with the "operating system cd"? and get everything else from the application and driver recovery cd?  or should i just reinstall it? i'm on to desperate measures here, my last resort is sending it  back, i think i'll call compaq today or tomorrow and complain for hours until they help... any last suggestions before i send this thing back?

merlin_2

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 02:14:18 PM »
like i have said take it back.....and stand your ground for a replacement or an option to chose another different make/specs at the same price.... and dont be bullied by any one in the shop........ask for the manager and no else...and dont be fobbed of by he/she is not available...tell them you have purchase this pc and its not fit for the purpose you bought it for...and good luck...stop fiddling  with it start doing...   my overall diagnostics is the mobo...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 02:15:23 PM by merlin_2 »

Andrew Ray

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »
what do you mean "mobo"? anyway, this computer isn't fit for much of anything, this is pretty ridiculous, i'm going to bust some compaq heads tomorrow.

Raptor

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 12:01:42 AM »
Mobo is an abbrevication for motherboard or mainboard.

We cannot help you more than they can, if it is still under warranty, may as well make use of it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:02:23 AM by Raptor »

Andrew Ray

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 08:44:58 PM »
here's a little update for ya: on some HP guy's advice (which i counted as permission that they wouldn't void my warranty or something) i reinstalled windows, i just finished a few hours ago and everything is working fine (the processor speed fluctuates, which i know (powernow!) it is SUPPOSED to do that... unlike before when it was stuck at 797, it now is mostly up at 2.19 (and always at 2.19 when i have "always on" on), so it's working fine, for now, i'm just hoping the problems don't come back.  thanks for all of your help, it came down to a last resort.

Andrew Ray

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2004, 10:12:33 PM »
Also, I noticed a lot more heat coming from my computer now, as if it's actually WORKING now.