Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Randomly Turning Itself Off  (Read 2770 times)

cclumsden

Monitor Randomly Turning Itself Off
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »
Hello,

I have a mildly annoying problem - that is rapidly moving to hampering functionality. About 2 weeks ago - whether working at the computer or not - the monitor would just shut itself off for a few seconds (maybe 3-5 seconds in duration). Everything on screen would be fine...just that the monitor would make a "pop" noise (a digital one sort of like what you hear when a pop up blocker nabs a window), the screen would go black and then come back. During this down time, the green power light will turn off completely (does not drop to the stand-by orange) and then come back when the screen is good again.

It did this maybe once a day...but the last few days it is happening very frequently and in clusters (it'll shut down like 5 times in 15 minutes). It is now actually impeding my work.

I don't know much about computers and I have read online to check drivers and video cards and both appear to be (according to Windows) the 'right' and up-to-date ones. I checked the AC cable and it is secure and the power source is great (as the PC, printer, speakers, lamp, etc...all run fine).

The monitor is a 17" flat panel Daewoo F217. Had it for about 2 years now - never any real problems (it is not the greatest quality) and I am not looking to spend any money on upgrading.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can/try.

You guys rock!
Thanks in advance.

squirrel

Re: Monitor Randomly Turning Itself Off
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:55:42 PM »
1) Try another monitor on your computer. Let us know if the other monitor works.

2) Try your monitor on another computer. Let us know if your monitor does the same thing.

3) Report back here.

cclumsden

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:02:33 PM »
1) Try another monitor on your computer. Let us know if the other monitor works.  - Will do tonight

2) Try your monitor on another computer. Let us know if your monitor does the same thing. - Will be able to do on Wednesday

3) Report back here.  - Yes sir.

Thanks for your attention squirrel.

cclumsden

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 09:28:48 AM »
OK guys...

1) Try another monitor on your computer. The other monitor seemed to work just fine.

2) Try your monitor on another computer. Working on my home monitor at the office and after 2.5 HRS it just did it's first 'incident' - twice in about 5 mins. So, it is doing the same thing driven by a different PC

Last night at home it was getting really bad too...

I am at your mercy - any thoughts, comments and opinions would be welcomed!!!
THX.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:41:45 PM »
If the monitor does it regardless of PC then it sounds like a monitor issue. You can have it serviced, but that may not be cost effective. That call is up to you.

Two years for a Daewoo may be a full life.  ;)

cclumsden

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:47:32 PM »
GX1_Man: Appreciate the comments - I agree, I cannot rightfully be too pissed after 2 years with this monitor - it looked good, quality was acceptable and the price was right!!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 04:12:09 PM »
I've got old Viewsonics that have been at it for over 7 years with never a problem. Daewoo I just don't know about. A lot of these fancy LCD's will be out soon after the warranties end, I'll bet. The product just hasn't been around for longevity studies.