Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cannot open any document in MS Word 2000  (Read 12166 times)

dorothyroeder

cannot open any document in MS Word 2000
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:34:03 PM »
Am using Windows 98 and Word 2000.
I can't even open a blank document. I get a message "WinWord caused an invalid page fault in module WINWORD.EXE..."
 When I close that box I get a message that there are missing or corrupted files.
Tried restarting several times.
I tried using the installation CD to correct program errors. Didn't help. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled WORD from the CD. Didn't help.
Didn't find anything helpful at Support.microsoft, but maybe I don't know what to ask for. "invalid page fault" didn't provide info that worked.

Help anybody?

GX1_Man

Re: cannot open any document in MS Word 2000
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »
Based on this and your other problems, it may just be time for a complete format and reinstall of WIndows and Office or Word, whichever you have. Sometimes too much monkeying can FUBAR a whole installation, and if just uninstalling Word didn't get it.....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:51:39 PM by GX1_Man »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 01:00:10 PM »
I agree with GX1_MAN but, first, try this.  Find your normal.dot file and delete it.  Normal.dot is a template file that holds all the default settings for new Word documents.  If it becomes corrupt, as it sometimes does, it will cause problems.  And, I think your uninstalling Word may not have removed it.  And if so, then your reinstalled Word is still looking at the same normal.dot file it was using before you uninstalled Word.

So, search for normal.dot and delete it.  Then restart Word and see whether the problem is solved.  

Edit: Microsoft recommends renaming normal.dot rather than deleting it.  This way, if normal.dot is not the cause of the problem, you can reverse the name change and resume using your old normal.dot, which can be helpful if you had certain preferences set that you did not want to lose.  

Here's the reference: How to reset user options and registry settings in Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word 2002, and Microsoft Word 2000
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 01:06:42 PM by soybean »

dorothyroeder

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »
I tried renaming Normal.dot but it wouldn't let me. I think I got through it from "Find". I can't figure out how to get to it from Explorer.  

I can reinstall Windows if nothing else works.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:02:22 PM »
How were you doing it in the Find window?  You should be able to rename it from the Find window.  Just right click on it and select Rename, or click on it and hit F2.  What happens when try that?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:03:37 PM by soybean »

dorothyroeder

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »
I went to find, typed in normal.dot and got a Word file called Normal in  Windows\ap... I right clicked, changed it to oldNormal and clicked again. I always get a box that says "cannot rename normal; access is denied.

F2 doesn't do anything.

dorothyroeder

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 02:38:50 PM »
I printed out all the stuff about the registry. Will have to do that later.

dorothyroeder

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
I can't rename normal.dot or delete any registry keys. I get the "write protected "message. I turned off Norton but that didn't help.
IIf I uninstall windows will I loose all my drivers and stuff. Will I still be able to get the old updates? I know there aren't any more new ones?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 06:20:34 PM »
Yes, you can still get the old updates. They are just not issueing new security updates as of this month. You may want to look in device manager and write down all of your devices and even hunt for the drivers now and burn to a CD. What are the specifics of the machine? You can also download and run Everest Home (for free) create a report and save it to a floppy AND post it here for perusal. You will know everything about the components and this will make finding the drivers easier.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

A format and reinstall seems like the wisest course of action. Have you ever done this before? Be sure and back up any important data files first, of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:21:41 PM by GX1_Man »

dorothyroeder

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 07:44:35 PM »
I wiped the disk and releaded everything last summer. The first time I had a worm. I can't remember what I did the second time. Seems like the hardest part, except for downloading all that stuff on a dial-up, was getting the modem set up.

My CD player wasn't working I thought, but if I start it from "My Computer", D: it seems to be O.K. I will make the list from the link you provided. I don't have a CD burner.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS T800. I added Ram a while back and have 656 MB now. Will I have to do the bios update over? I suppose so.

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 08:13:23 PM »
Leave the BIOS alone! That does not have to be done with a software reload. What version is it?

dorothyroeder

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »
I have no idea what version. I asked Dell tech support why I didn't see any improvement in performance with more RAM and he said I had to update the bios. I went to the link he gave me. Didn't see much change in performance while the printer was working.

I did the Everest scans. Which report did you want to see?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:37 PM »
The system summary.

What Dell model is it? You should see the BIOS version when you boot, usually just under the Dell logo. It would be very strange to have a BIOS affect RAM. How much originally and how much did you add?

dorothyroeder

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 11:13:50 PM »
The info on boot up says PhoenixBios 4.0  Release 6.0.
I got part of the number underneath,  4S4EB2XO.......
The info in system setup says    Bios -A05.

I originally had 125 MB RAM. I add two 256  chips.

dorothyroeder

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 11:30:25 PM »
It is a Dell Dimension XPS T700.

I can't attach the report. the program doesn't like the file type evidently.