Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this appropriate?  (Read 12339 times)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Is this appropriate?
    « Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 06:59:06 AM »
    Its Weired Here Too, in Ireland , mostly Catholic Country, now Begining to get Quite Full of Foreigners , Lost of Polish, i here the Same for the UK.

But RTE still Play the Angilis a 12 and 6, our 6 o'clock News starts a 6:01 Because thats Prayer time. i don't Think Ireland is Quite As PC as the States , but it's getting there. i just waiting for some Fanatic's to start complain about the Angilis , and have it Removed for the TV

I don't believe it that Stuff my Self, but it's people's own Perogitive... Except for Scientology, thats not a Real Religion
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

johnchain

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 07:41:08 AM »
    The question is....

is the statement
    “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your
    own understanding; in all ways acknowledge him, and he will make your
    paths straight.” Pr 3:5-6 (NIV)"
    preaching?

Dedicating a book to God is definitely pointless to argue and is by no means a problem. And neither are quotes from the bible. However this statement....saying your paths will only be straight if you acknowledge his existence...........that is what I believe is debateable.

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 07:48:38 AM »
      He can Preach if he Wants to, how do you think you Recruit for a Crusade or a Ji-Had?

And do you think that Movie's are not full of Preaching, it just not as Religious, but allot of movies come down to Hail All the American Warriors! They Will Save Or Smite Us , you'd Better Be on their Side!
      « Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:18:01 AM by panboy »

johnchain

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 08:09:34 AM »
      Yeah I guess you're right.

Go America! Go San Francisco Giants! (Yankees too)

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 03:59:11 PM »
      If he does, he won't for long.  ;)

homer

Expert
        « Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 10:47:10 PM »
        This thread is quite refreshing in its tolerance.  I too have found that in the UK we are so paranoid about upsetting other faiths that we can't do ANYTHING that it demonstrably "Christian".  For example, our government would grant a broadcasting licence to any faith other than Christian.  You could have a national Hindu, Muslim, Seikh radio station, but not Christian, for fear we migt offend others.

Bizarre.

You know, a person's faith, whatever it might be (including atheism, which is based on the un-provable, therefore "faith-based" tenet that there is no God) is such an important part of who they are, that they SHOULD have a right to express that.  (Provided that such expression is not "evil" - e.g. involving sacrificing children...)

that is exactly what happening over here. people dont want to "offend" the other faiths and, in turn, do not realize (or do not wish to realize) that it is offending OUR faith. i thought this was only happening in Canada, this is not good news.

homer

Expert
          « Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 10:53:40 PM »
          dont really belive in god myself, but to each is own... i dont belive in forcing beliefs or anything on somone if its against there will

THINK before you post. i CANNOT stand uneducated, misguided, atheistic people who once upon hearing a sentence of scripture automatically belive that we are "forcing our belief" upon them. i will say this bluntly, dead reckon, you are part of the problem regarding christians "limited free speech".

johnchain

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 10:54:36 PM »
          Offensive? of course it is offensive? They're not trying to take the "offending" and switch it to the secular side. They're trying to equalize the entire mess that is going on.

Christianity, being the most dominant religion at the moment, of course will be attacked at to equalize the tension among other religions. That's what people deserve, equality, it is a birth right. Many people lose this right because of Christianity (Ahem KKK, Crusades, Inquisition Ahem) and they are simply trying to equalize it. People have been seeking to equalize this dominance since the beginning, except now that there is something called "Separation between Church and State" instituted, it makes it a little easier to get things done from minority religions and secular thinkers.

The idea is to make everything equally offensive. So "be offended" it will happen anyways. There's nothing anyone can do about it.
          « Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:01:21 PM by johnchain »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
            • Me
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 03:50:09 AM »
          this statement....saying your paths will only be straight if you acknowledge his existence...........that is what I believe is debateable.
          I don't think you read the statement very carefully.

The idea is to make everything equally offensive.
          You lost me.  Whose idea was this, exactly?
          Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 04:04:20 AM »
            All that that Quote from the bible says is

If God , Happens to Be Real, and you do thing according to His plan you shall Be Saved, i Allways wonder why people get so Offend by Religions, there mostly the same, almost all of them Preach Kindness and Love, and some times Penance for being an *censored*, the Big one's being Heaven and *censored*, and Karma

Both Beliefs Say, if your An *censored* your Screwed, its only people who say , you have to Acknowledge God to be a Good person that i don't get along with.

GX1_Man

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 04:08:53 AM »
            Good thoughts, prayers, and statements of affirmation by Christians are not likely to hurt us individually or as a civilization.

I am not so sure about the non-religious viewpoint.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            « Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 04:36:46 AM »
            I wonder why statements of faith are often received with such vitriol?  I am sure that statements of non-faith are treated with similar contempt in some quarters.  Perhaps deep within us all there's a burning desire to be right along with a hatred of being contradicted?

I was victimised for years at school because my parents nailed their colours very firmly to the mast.  And yet if anyone was in trouble or needed help, they would be pretty near the top of the "must visit" list, within our small community.  Ironic, really.

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 04:56:33 AM »
              People always seem to find the Reliable good natured family to Fall back on, Even if they would Insult them Behind there backs.

i hate those people , Hypocrite is what their called

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
                • Me
              « Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 05:29:21 AM »
              Hypocrite is what their called
              Ah, no, "hypocrite" is what we were called, for trying to live good lives, apparently!!!
              « Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 05:33:06 AM by robpomeroy »

GX1_Man

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 05:52:23 AM »
              As I have said, prayer has never hurt anyone.  ;)