Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this appropriate?  (Read 12335 times)

johnchain

Is this appropriate?
« on: July 26, 2006, 02:26:31 PM »
I have never come across this many references in a instructional programming book....

Wrox Press Professional Assembly Language

In the acknowledgements...

"First, all honor, glory, and praise go to God, who through His Son makes all things possible and gives us
the gift of eternal life."

In the dedication...

"This book is dedicated to my wife, Barbara, and my daughters, Katie Jane
and Jessica. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your
own understanding; in all ways acknowledge him, and he will make your
paths straight.” Pr 3:5-6 (NIV)"

I don't really object to this or disagree since the information in the book is good and it doesn't bother me. But I have never come across that before, I just found it peculiar.

squirrel

Re: Is this appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:29:32 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
I believe it's really up to the author and publisher.  If the author wants to print that, and the publisher does not object, then it's their right to publish it.

johnchain

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »
True

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 04:30:44 PM »
And it's nice that someone can be able to express their faith and not have to worry about offending anyone because of it. I applaud him.  ;)

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 06:19:36 PM »
dont really belive in god myself, but to each is own... i dont belive in forcing beliefs or anything on somone if its against there will

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »
Who's forcing their beliefs on you?

homer

Expert
    « Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 10:45:59 PM »
    im glad that the author did that. im from Canada, everything has to be "politically correct". it makes me VERY VERY angry >:(. indians have to be called "native americans" and apperently a christmas tree is SUPPOSED to be called a "seasonal tree". i myself am a christian, and it saddens me how atheists are taking over easter and christmas. easter is NOT about a bunny rabbit and christmas is NOT about santa. i fear the word "christmas" will eventually be phased out...

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 10:49:21 PM »
      Um... people actually SAY "X-mas" now sometimes. It really ticks me off. I'm not going to preach here, but I'm what you would call Evangelical Christian and I hate the following facts:

1. Muslims, Jews and Hindus are worshipped for gracing this Earth. (In itself, this is not a problem)

2. However, Christianity is despised by the majority of "Politically Correct" America.

3. I was once suspended for praying during a 9/11 assembly.

I'm surprised the black community doesn't sue the ACLU for prejudice. After all, who said all blacks were African Americans? (The majority of blacks, I believe, are Mexican, Spanish or similar 2nd world countries.)
      « Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:50:03 PM by Timothy_Bennett »
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 10:50:32 PM »
      im glad that the author did that. im from Canada, everything has to be "politically correct". it makes me VERY VERY angry >:(. indians have to be called "native americans" and apperently a christmas tree is SUPPOSED to be called a "seasonal tree". i myself am a christian, and it saddens me how atheists are taking over easter and christmas. easter is NOT about a bunny rabbit and christmas is NOT about santa. i fear the word "christmas" will eventually be phased out...
      I have a teacher who refuses to call a Christmas Tree (CAPITILIZED!) a season tree (not capital).
      It is very disrespectful to people who celebrate Christmas to strip the name of a tree of giving.
      And the whole Easter bunny thing? PPHT! People have forgotten.
      And Christmas itself is just going haywire.

(Tell you what Homer, during Christmas and Easter, we can make "Real Meaning" posts in the Others section)
      [highlight]I am a Christian and proud of it! [/highlight]
      YEAH!  ;D

johnchain

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 11:18:02 PM »
      Hey guys, I aint a Christian but censorships also tick me off. Not because of religious issues, but because it is un-American, people have freedom of speech and this country was built on Christian values. So anything that goes by those rights should be allowed. If one is forced upon these values it is a problem because it violates another person't rights.

This book does not violate anyone's rights, however It's one thing to say you dedicate a book to God and acknowledge his thoughts. But putting in revelations about the importance of his existance almost inquires that the reader be someone. Kinda makes the rest of the read uncomforatble if one is not a participant of that belief.

Then again, if a person bought the book for the information posed, and happily disregarded any statements that had nothing to do with coding, I'd say it's a pretty good book, very informative.
      « Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:20:53 PM by johnchain »

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        « Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 12:02:55 AM »
        Prayer  - to ask that the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.  (Ambrose Bierce)
        There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
          « Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 01:28:04 AM »
          Speaking of the anti-Christian attitude, I have a game called Civilization IV and I participate in a Civ forum. The lyrics to the opening song turned out to be a Swahili translation, roughtly, of the Lord's Prayer. All of a sudden, the song was hated by 5% of the active forum populace, it seems. Pathetic.
          "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 02:51:33 AM »
            All this talk of religion might bring Mac back. :(

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 05:57:16 AM »
            This thread is quite refreshing in its tolerance.  I too have found that in the UK we are so paranoid about upsetting other faiths that we can't do ANYTHING that it demonstrably "Christian".  For example, our government would grant a broadcasting licence to any faith other than Christian.  You could have a national Hindu, Muslim, Seikh radio station, but not Christian, for fear we migt offend others.

Bizarre.

You know, a person's faith, whatever it might be (including atheism, which is based on the un-provable, therefore "faith-based" tenet that there is no God) is such an important part of who they are, that they SHOULD have a right to express that.  (Provided that such expression is not "evil" - e.g. involving sacrificing children...)
            « Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 05:57:50 AM by robpomeroy »
            Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos