Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Warning!! CPU move to fast  (Read 2344 times)

Palolotom

Warning!! CPU move to fast
« on: July 26, 2006, 03:28:16 PM »
Aloha all.  I'm broke with a pretty nice computer that I can't get to work... sorta.  I appologize for not having the complete specs of my system but I'm not sure how to do that properly.  My com was built from scratch by the previous owner.  From my understanding, it is/was top of the line (atleast 6mons/1yr ago).  It's got power lines for bout 4 cd drives, 2 floppy and 2 hard drives, 5 or 6 fans (one with neon), and... well more than this cave man needs.  I know that doesn't tell you squat about it's performance but I was told that the only thing I needed to do was to install a new hard drive since he wanted to keep the origianl one.  So now I've tried to install a new 120GB ATA Maxtor Drive.  I had several copies of windows going back to 98 but none would work.  I was told I needed a version for new drives so I got one and it worked... sorta.  
I was able to load Microsoft Office programs and things seemed fine cep for no sounds.  I didn't figure it out till I had loaded a game and tried to play it.  It worked great, for about an hour then it crashed(the screen flipped and then restarted).  Whoa, so I restarted and was able to continue playing for a few hours until it crashed again.  Only this time, the restart sequence was caught in repeat.  It just kept rebooting.  So I powered down completely, waited a while and restarted.  On the opening BIOS? screen where the coms' info is, there was a message,  Warning!! CPU move to fast.  At the bottom is the press Del to enter set up sentence.  Pissed that all the com could do is reboot reboot reboot, I reformated to hard drive fully to try the process all over.  I reinstalled the driver and began to load XP and it all works until the end of the set up process.  Windows is suppose to be starting but it never does.  It just sits on the Blue Windows start up screen...  laughing.  So I can install the driver software in my sleep now but can't get windows to work, again.  It's very frustrating since it had worked before with the same equipment but just several hours later it doesn't.  

So what's up with the CPU move to fast line?  
Thank you for any help,
Thomas  

squirrel

Re: Warning!! CPU move to fast
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 03:31:15 PM »
What if you tried a different processor?  CPU is the central processing unit.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »
Let's start with some details to fill in the blanks.

What are the full specs of the system. If you don't know, download and run Everest, make a report as txt rather than HTML and post it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Here is some general info. See what applies:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149804407

Have you gotten the CPU too fast message since you reinstalled? Let's make sure the system is clean before we proceed.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1149948530

Palolotom

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 04:21:24 PM »
Thank you for getting back so quickly!  I don't have the specs of my computer with me but I'll get them posted for yall soon.  I'll check on some of the info you sent me and keep my fingers crossed.  But mahalo for replying and I'll be writing you soon.

Thomas