Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Line at Startup??  (Read 2415 times)

winterdude

Line at Startup??
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
Ever since the day my computer started to suck.  Lines would appear on my screen during bootup.

They are  >>> a line of those things, in the middle of the screen, but they are pointing down, not to the side.  What is causing this?  I'll record a video of the computer booting up if that makes it any easier for you guys.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Line at Startup??
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:13:23 AM »
    winterdude,

It's sad that your computers sucks...and we'd like to help...but A LOT more information is needed, like:

System specs
    When did it first start?  Did it ever work right?  Have you added any hardware/software lately?

You know, stuff like that.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

winterdude

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 11:59:12 AM »
    OK, specs.

1.4GHz Intel Pentium 4
    14.8 GB free out of a 30Gig Hard Drive
    nVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 Video Card

It started when we got the virus (which has since been removed by a computer company, and our antivirus software)  When the lines began, it also slowed start up time.  When boot up gets to the Windows XP logo and loading thingy, it takes two or three minutes to start the computer.  Where as it was faster before.  I can't remember if they were there when we got the new video card or not.  I believe they were though.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 08:03:11 AM »
    Clearly the damage done by the virus has not been repaired.  How much did you pay that company?

Your easiest option at this stage is a reinstallation of Windows, since it's virtually impossible to say how extensive the damage is.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

winterdude

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:57 AM »
    Well that sucks, now I have to find that WinXP back up install disk...

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 03:43:28 PM »
    Everyone needs a real Windows CD sometime. This is your time.