Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fix this if you can  (Read 5610 times)

jason sherven

fix this if you can
« on: September 10, 2004, 09:34:27 PM »
if any one can fix this, i'll be impressed.
i have a cloned computer with no floppy drive only a cdrw. my windows 2000 professional nt got screwed up because someone told me that spyware was in my registry keys so i deleted them. so now nothing works on that os. i have since then installed windows xp home
but my sound card and other such things are still on the other operating system. the sound card is intigrated(built in to the hard drive) and i cant switch it to my new os. i dont know how to fdisk much less get a boot disk for a floppy less computer any suggestions how to get back my sound card and get rid of a worthless os taking up space? please help before i smash this piece of crap

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: fix this if you can
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 12:12:33 AM »
    jason sherven....ok , if I understand you ...you have no floppy drive but you have a cd player......You say you have both win 2000 and win xp installed on your hard drive. Do you only have one hard drive with several partitions on it or do you have more than hard drive ?
    just to clarify , your on board sound card is built into the motherboard , not the hard drive.

let us know
    dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 12:15:59 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 06:19:40 AM »
    Use a program such as Adaware SE or Spybot S&D

Less chance of something going wrong and far more effective.

I think you are creating problems that aren't there; An integrrated soundcard means it is installed on the MOTHERBOARD, you have to install your motherboard drivers on the Windows XP partition before you can use it's integrated periphals.

As for Fdisk, you can obtain a bootdisk at http://www.bootdisk.de. However, Windows XP has it's own bootdisk and can be used to Format other partitions and harddrives as well.

Mac

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 01:06:54 PM »
    Hello Jason. What is the make & model of your computer?

Is there any data on your hard drive that you want to retain?

Do you have a FULL version of XP Home on CD?

If it is an upgrade CD then do you have your 2000 CD?

I guess that you do as XP is installed and running.

If so, and providing that your system supports booting direct from the XP CD you need to know which key (or keys) to press to get into your BIOS and to change the boot sequence to boot directly from the CD-RW as first boot device so you can use the XP CD, which is bootable in itself. So you don't need a floppy drive.

You will need to change the boot sequence back again after completing the installation.

The XP CD has all the means of partitioning and formatting the hard drive built into it.

Take a look at this XP site and see if it helps you at all:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

You might also want to run the checks on this site to see if it can find anything lacking in your system:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/default.asp

Can you please give a full system specification description? Processor, RAM, hard-drive speed and size drive cache (2Mb or 8Mb) and so on.

This can help us all immensely.
    « Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 01:12:51 PM by Mac »

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 01:14:47 PM »
    you could try to go into the bios del...key on boot and setup defaults this may bring back your sound back into play...but you may need drivers for it...

Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 01:51:20 AM »
    "All is not lost it is only missing, finding it is another issue"

I believe that they have found the missing link.