Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes/stops/locks up  (Read 4643 times)

Botiemaster

Computer freezes/stops/locks up
« on: March 30, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »
Ok so i've had this problem for a year now. Haven't even used my computer in that year time span because of the problem.  It's a gateway. Back when the problem started,  i just restarted and it was fine. Day by day it got worse and worse and the more restarts it took to load up windows. Back in april 2003 it got to the point it would no longer load windows before crashing/lockup/freeze/stop. Screen would go black and noise from inside the computer would go off. This noise is located in the cpu area but i think that's just what it does because i've eliminated cpu and cpu fan as the cause of my problem ...

SOmetimes when you start it up, it'll lockup as soon as you let go of the button, before it ever reaches the Gateway/BIOS loadup screen....

I've eliminated(or so i thought) the following as cause of problem:

1)CPU fan
2)CPU(athlon 1.1)
3)HDD(perhaps i need to recheck this again but the other day i loaded up into windows just fine for 15 minutes. This was after installing athlon 1.1 and motherboard replacements) I then decided to test it, restarted, and problem came back.

4)Power supply(perhaps i need to recheck it)
5)graphics card(just bought new card, didn't fix problem)
6)took out sound and modem cards, problem remained without them in system.
7)floppy(unplugged it for testing)
8)Ram

I just don't know. I guess up next is trying a brand new hard drive and see what happens. I'm guessing i zapped something via ESD while fooling with it. Darn hard pinpointing the prob.

gliss

Re: Computer freezes/stops/locks up
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 09:10:37 AM »
Random freeze-ups/reboots almost always point to a failing power supply. Should be able to get one online for $20 to $30.    

Botiemaster

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 03:22:22 PM »
Random freeze-ups/reboots almost always point to a failing power supply. Should be able to get one online for $20 to $30.    

Botiemaster

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 03:23:41 PM »

Yeah, i just eliminated the HDD as problem by unplugging it from mobo and PS and the prob was still there. Gotta be PS.

Botiemaster

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 09:42:19 PM »
Ok so, i got new power supply and problem is still there. I just eliminated everything. Power supply, motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, vid card, sound card, modem, power button cord, front USB cord, HDD, IDE cables, floppy, and monitor/monitor cord. Oh and Mouse/keyboard. Soooooo like.......shoot me, k?

>:( :( :'(

System stripped to just PS, Mobo, ram, and Vid card, top four suspects, and they turned out fine, or atleast i assume. grrrrrrrrrr.....

merlin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 01:51:03 PM »
have you tried flashing the bios? what o/s is this?on boot up hit the del key and set the bios settings to default?

Botiemaster

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 04:15:16 PM »
I haven't tried flashing the bios, but currently am downloading update to try it. I have Windows XP with AMI bios.  In bios, i haven't really ever changed anything so everything should be at default.