Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disabiling old video adapter  (Read 2139 times)

skyline_racer1

Disabiling old video adapter
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:34:05 AM »
Today I bought a new GFX card, an ATI Radeon 9250 128MB version (there's a 128 and a 256.)  Anyways, I was reading the instructions on how to install, and it said if you have on on board GFX card, that you need to disable the video adapter.  I know I have the on board GFX card, because I didn't see a card when I opened my case up to see where it would go.  The only other thing in one of the PCI slots, was a card for a phone line (probably for internet?) and some other plug.

I did a little searching around on google, and figured out how to disable.  I disabled it, then all of a sudden, my computer restarted.  Note: the new card is not in yet.  After it was done booting up, my screen resolution was really small, maybe 800 x 600.  Anyways, I figured it worked, but it came to my attention after reading the instructions a little more carefully, that it the video adpater reinstalls itself, or something to that affect if you disable it?

My question is, how do I go about disabiling my video adapter, without it reinstalling itself?

My SPECS are, Dell Dimension 2400, Intel Celeron 2.4GHz, 256 RAM (soon to be 768 sometime next week hopefully.)

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Disabiling old video adapter
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:45:41 AM »
    Disable it from BIOS, read your motherboard book, it will tell you.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      Re: Disabiling old video adapter
      « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »
      You need to have the new graphics card in first... or what will draw the screen if you disable onboard? Also make sure the monitor cable is attached to the new graphics card, not the old onboard.