Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer keeps shutting down / overheat  (Read 2266 times)

timberwolf

Computer keeps shutting down / overheat
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »
The computer keeps over heating.  I think it's the processor.  You can sign in and say surf the web ok.  Go to play a game, burn a cd or even watch video on the internet, then the overheat protection on the motherboard activates.  This hsuts the computer down.  The motherboard is set to sound a warning when the CPU reaches 50 C then shut down the system if it exceeds a certain temp (60 C).  When doing the above activities, you can hear the alarm go off, then it shuts down.  

System specs:
Case: Atlas SF-760 Mid-tower ATX
CPU: AMD 1.3 Thunderbird Athlon
Motherboard: Epox 8KHA+
RAM: 512 Mb 266 Mhz DDR
Video: 32 Mb Nvidia PCI
Single IDE hard drive
CD-burner
CD-ROM
Windows XP

It came with a Cooler Master HSC-V62 fan on the cpu.  This was a bare-bones system purchased over the web bought a long time ago that I would finally like to get fixed. In shipping, the Cooler Master came off.  The place I bought it from somewhat walked me through how to use Artic Silver on the CPU and reinstall the CPU.  As it was my first CPU install, I'm not too confiident about it.  

To help cool the system I've added the following.  On the front, I've added an HDD cooler and a fan that pulls air in.  On the back there's an exhaust fan and one of those PCI slot fans next to the video card.

My question is should I reinstall the Cooler Master CPU fan again using Artic Silver Ceramique?  Or use something else?    

Thanks in advance