Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formatted windows 98 having trouble booting  (Read 4662 times)

honee

Formatted windows 98 having trouble booting
« on: September 14, 2004, 07:23:20 PM »
I've formatted my drive and when I start up, with a start up/ boot disk in A: I get an error message "invalid system disk" Replace disk, and then press any key.

I've tried that, I tried everything and to no avail.  I just can't get past that .  I did the format c: and it formatted with no problems until I try to put in my 98 boot up disk.  Any suggestions what this could be???  Thanks for your help.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Formatted windows 98 having trouble booting
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:05:13 PM »
    honee.....did you use that bootdisk to do the format ?

Is your bios set to boot from the floppy or something else ?

Where did you get the bootdisk you are trying to use ?

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

honee

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 04:15:44 AM »
    I went through dos by pressing ctrl and getting the dos prompt.  Then I just typed in format c:  I tried using a boot up disk I had from before to start the computer back up and it failed so I went on bootdisk.com and downloaded some from there and they didn't work either.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 12:30:20 PM »
    ...I just typed in format c: ...

Correct command is format c: /s
    You have formatted but not transferred the Operating System (the "/s").
    Try sys c: which transfers the OS after formatting or reformat with /s option.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 12:31:51 PM »
      honee......I'm still not 100 % clear on what you did .....You used the old "startup/bootdisk" in the floppy drive before you removed win 98 ........by .....at the A: prompt typing " Format C: followed by Enter .......and you got the warning about losing all the data....do you want to continue and you anwsered yes......then it proceeded to remove all contents of the hard drive. Were there any partitions on your hard drive ? Then with the "start/bootdisk" still in the floppy drive you rebooted and the bootdisk loaded and you got an A: prompt......
      Please clarify .....because it doesnt sound like you have the correct boot disk ?

let us know
      dl65  ???
      « Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 12:32:16 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 02:08:29 PM »
      after the format c     did you use the fdisk command...if you are have problems.....go into the bios...when your pc is booting....press the ctrl or del key and change the boot sequence by using the arrow keys...boot from cdrom....the install disk should do the rest...if not have a look here>http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/install98cd/index.htm
      « Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 02:13:08 PM by merlin_2 »