Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp freezes upon start-up  (Read 7408 times)

tinykitkatgrl

windows xp freezes upon start-up
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:50:22 PM »
For several days now, my computer freezes just a few minutes after I restart it, every time. This started one morning I went to go on the computer and it was frozen and since then just freezes every time I restart it. It's working in safe mode right now. I tried system restore but it told me no changes have been made to the system. How can I find out what the problem is?

johnchain

Re: windows xp freezes upon start-up
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:01:49 PM »
At what screen does it freeze at?

If you are lucky enough to enter safe mode you can run spyware/malware scans which might be causing the problem.

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 05:22:31 PM »
It freezes whether I login to windows or not, it doesnt matter what screen it's on or what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 05:48:20 PM by tinykitkatgrl »

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 06:19:47 PM »
    [highlight]It freezes whether I login to windows or not, it doesnt matter what screen it's on or what I'm doing.[/highlight]

So it freezes at random times during the boot process, right?  Before you login...after you login...during the splash screen (Windows XP screen)...at the desktop.

Have you added any new software/hardware?  Done any Windows updates?  Any eletrical problems in the house / apt? Do you hear any new/different sounds when the computer boots?

Can you boot into Safemode (tapping the F8 key when booting)?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 06:24:06 PM »
    Yes I'm in safe mode now and it doesn't freeze.
    It's not exactly random, because it freezes after a certain amount of time after the computer boots. Like, I only have a few minutes to do anything after its starts. If I leave it alone on the login screen it will freeze after a few minutes, if I login and start doing something like the internet or anything it will freeze shortly after, etc. it works completely normal until it freezes.
    I can't think of any changes that may have caused this, like I said it just started doing this one morning, and system restore says there have been no changes to the system.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 06:33:22 PM »
      Place your hand at the back of the computer by the power supply and see if you can feel any air flow.  

Open the case (if you feel OK with that) and check the CPU cooling fan to see if it's on.

Sounds heat related or possible bad RAM.

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 06:46:41 PM »
      I feel warm air coming out of the back.. but i don't know much about the inside of a computer. I think it might be something power related, though, because I've had problems with that before.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:52:50 PM »
        [highlight]I feel warm air coming out of the back.. but i don't know much about the inside of a computer. [/highlight]  That's good.  It means the power supply fan is working.  Doesn't guarantee the power supply is work properly.

[highlight]
        I think it might be something power related, though, because I've had problems with that before.[/highlight]  What kind of problems?  Like what you're having now?  What solved it before?

Open the case (if you feel OK with that) and check the CPU cooling fan to see if it's on.

You don't have to poke around in there  ;)  With the computer off, open the side, push the start button and see if the CPU fan spins.  Nothing more.

I'll be leaving now as I'm going to a meeting at church this evening.  Hopefully someone else will check this thread and give you some help.

Good luck  ;)

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 07:02:29 PM »
        Okay, thanks.
        I'd rather not open it up because I also have a problem with my video card not being screwed in properly and if I bump the computer it gets moved out of place and screws up the computer.

As far as the power supply problems, when I first got my ipod last year, a few minutes after I'd plug it in, the whole computer would just turn off. We called tech support and the guy told us the power supply wasn't strong enough or something, so I purchased a USB port hub which plugs into a power strip and my computer and provides additional power to run my ipod.

I forgot to mention that one day after leaving the computer off for several hours it didn't freeze when I turned it back on. When I plugged the usb port hub into the power strip where several computer wires are also plugged into - without attatching anything to the computer- to try to put my ipod back on, it froze. I removed it and restarted it but it's still been freezing ever since no matter how long I leave the computer off for. So maybe it has something to do with the power strip? I don't know if anyone could understand that so i'll reword it if you didn't.

thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 07:46:36 PM »
        Okay, thanks.
        I'd rather not open it up because I also have a problem with my video card not being screwed in properly and if I bump the computer it gets moved out of place and screws up the computer.

Are you just missing a screw for that card?  Stop by some local computer shop, if you can, and ask them for one.  It's a simple step to securing that card.  

As far as removing the side of the computer case as advised by ale52, do that with the computer turned off.  Then, make sure you haven't jarred the card out of place before you start up.  That's shouldn't be too difficult, should it?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
          « Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 12:06:30 PM »
          If your video card is loose in it's slot that could cause the system to lock up.  Secure it like Soybean suggested.

Try removing the computers power from the strip and go directly into the wall.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:07:10 PM by ale52 »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
            « Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »
            when you have to side panel off maybe get a can of compressed air and clean it out in there (short bursts at a time)

unlovedwarrior

that was the problem with a computer i had to fix it kept freezeing cuase it was over heating..

so blow the computer out and make sure that the fans are cleean

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:01:50 PM »
            okay thanks everyone i'll work on this tonight and let you know what happens

tinykitkatgrl

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 07:53:11 PM »
            Okay I opened up my computer. I didn't have any compressed air but basically I just blew in it and choked on huge amounts of dust. lol. I secured the video card so that's not the problem.

oh, before i forget, as the computer was booting up I saw something that said battery low... could that have something to do with it?

I didn't see anything spinning in there when I turned it on, though. Could someone describe to me where the CPU fan would be?

One other thing- if it was power, heat, or ram related, wouldn't it still freeze in safe mode?

thanks

edit: I'll need a bunch of extension cords to plug the wires directly into the wall so I'll try it eventually but I don't have time tonight..
            « Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 07:58:43 PM by tinykitkatgrl »

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
              « Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 08:41:47 AM »
              the cpu fan will be the only fan on the mobo with the ram.. get some qtips and clean out the fan blades. you can get compressed air almost anywhere kmart wallmart radio shack