Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: [help]formula editing online  (Read 4654 times)

istevenson

[help]formula editing online
« on: September 27, 2006, 08:13:40 AM »
i am creating a website for our compulsory statistics course,the website should provide formula editing online.just like the following site:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=132582

now i am considering using latex to reach the goal
my development condition is asp.net and the main web language is C#.

i have many books on asp.net and C#,but no books tell how to programme to provide the members of the forum the service of editing formulas online.
i have the main CGI source code, but don`t know how to embed it in the html pages.
it gets the LATEX instrctions from the clients and when a user opens a web page including such instrctions, it should replace the instructions with the corresponding formulas in the form of graphics (latex can do this,just like MathType) which is eventually returned to the client's.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: [help]formula editing online
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 09:41:10 AM »
    You might get a better response on a forum dedicated to programing, like

http://www.codeguru.com/forum

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:09:48 PM »
    If you're thinking LaTeX (open source) then you should probably be thinking PHP (open source) rather than ASP (proprietary) - primarily because people within the open source community are more likely to have attempted something like this already.  For a C# programmer, learning PHP would not pose a particular challenge.

I refer you to two useful pages: >this one< and >this one< to get you started.
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:10:08 PM by robpomeroy »
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

istevenson

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:08:45 PM »
    Neil,thank you. i will have a try there if i have some other problems about this topic.i am always finding some forums where more professionals appear there and talk and discuss.Are these two forums you recommended that type??

Rob Pomeroy,thanks so much!! your segguestion is so helpful.
    you are right ,maybe i should think of PHP rather than asp.net and C#.but coz i know nothing about PHP , i have to  spend much time picking up this language.but time is so limited ,so it seems impossible.
    though that, i will have a try.
    thank you,Rob.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:32:03 AM »
    Good luck.  I rather suspect that once you've got to grips with PHP, you'll hate using ASP.  ;)
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos