Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: warning about overclocking  (Read 1936 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    warning about overclocking
    « on: September 29, 2006, 01:12:10 AM »
    Hi,

I have a PC desktop that runs 24/7. It's never given me any problems before. Just a few hours ago, i accidentally found out that it's freezing. i don't know how long it's been in that state for. Anyway, the whole screen is blank. I got panicked so i turned it off by force. As soon as it got re-started, a warning message pop up saying "Overclocking failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system. Press F1 to run setup, Press F2 to load default values and continue". I didn't know what to do so i picked on F2 to continue loading windows OS. It came out during the startup.

Now, it's back online. everything seems to be fine. but i don't want something like this to happen again.

Could anyone be kind to tell me what's going on here? I don't remember if it'
    s been overclocked or not. All i know is the machine's been there just before i took charge of it.

Thank you in advance

Raptor

Re: warning about overclocking
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 06:11:41 AM »
    got panicked so i turned it off by force

:-?

Scan for Viruses and Spyware.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: warning about overclocking
    « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 08:38:10 AM »
    Apparently, a setting in your CMOS Setup panel got changed, perhaps before the freezing occurred, or when you forced the shutdown.  The CMOS Setup panel is where you change settings in your BIOS.  Your computer's BIOS probably has various settings for CPU speed or "frequency", and it somehow got changed to a faster speed than appropriate for your specific processor.  Thus, the overclocking message.

Since you selected Default settings and it's running fine now, you should be OK.  However, if this happens again and becomes a recurring problem, come back to the forum for further discussion of the issue.