Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Freezing XP - Help me!!!!  (Read 5493 times)

debeck512

Freezing XP - Help me!!!!
« on: September 17, 2004, 09:22:49 AM »
Computer appears to boot up normally - goes all the way thru to "loading personal settings" - then nothing.
All I see is the background - no desktop icons - no task bars - nothing. I am sure it is a virus - trojan - etc. However, I can't run a virus scan - or can I? I tried to run in Safe Mode and got the same result - no desktop. Help me please.

robertmillar

Re: Freezing XP - Help me!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 11:16:19 AM »
Try Safe mode Last known good configuration.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 11:16:48 AM by robertmillar »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 12:20:07 PM »
I donot quite understand how you are certain that it is a virus, yet you failed to prevent the problem from happening?

I suggest you format. But before you do that, read up on Internet security.

Fresh start, more knowledge, better security.

How Stuff Works - Internet Channel

debeck512

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 12:25:23 PM »
Thanks for education - I is stupid. I guess I should have said I ASSUME it is a virus. I have many security measures in place - but apparently - something got by. Could I be the first victim????
Sorry - your reply smacks of sarcasim and is not appreciated.
Now - try to answer the question - unless you can't (which I suspect is the case).

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 12:36:17 PM »
Nothing ever gets by here.

Now - try to answer the question - unless you can't (which I suspect is the case).

You're testing me. How exciting!

Did you do as Robertmillar said?

You did not mention when the problem occured and how you made it occur.

And, last but not least, you may be able to use the repair option on your Windows XP CD-ROM.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 12:41:28 PM by Raptor »

debeck512

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 08:51:36 PM »
Yes - I am testing you and I hope (as the name implies) you will oblige me.
I did try to do what Robert Millar said to no avail.
The problem occured when I booted up, as I stated in the first message. I don't recall doing anything that would have made this occur.
Let's see - I turned on the computer - went to get my morning coffee and returned to a blank (or should I say a background) with no desktop icons.
I rebooted - same result.
I have been able to go into task manager and open programs from there - so I was able to retrieve all important data and burn.
I have a new hard drive now - so problem solved. I hope.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 04:11:00 AM »
Did you have the latest Microsoft security updates installed?

sumguy

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 08:15:13 PM »
This is the same exact problem I am currently having on my laptop.

I'm going to have to buy a new harddrive to fix this?  

*censored* no, I'm on a *censored* laptop as it is and on a college payroll.  I don't have money, but I do have time.  Any other suggestions on how to fix this?  

By the way, how did you retrieve your information from the task manager?  (I don't have a burner so I can't backup any important information)

Any advice on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.  I will try as well, but you guys are the experts!

[edit]
To answer some of those questions, I tried everything previously mentioned on this thread and I think I had XP Service Pack 1 installed, but not 2.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 08:16:23 PM by sumguy »