Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting 2 computers  (Read 4861 times)

SouthernBlue

Connecting 2 computers
« on: April 01, 2004, 09:10:56 AM »
Does anyone know how to connect two computers together? I have some things on a laptop that I would like to transfer to a desktop,and can't for the life of me figure out how to hook them together to transfer the files.I tried the home networking thing,but can't get it to work,or I haven't done it right.Can anyone help me?I was thinking about just emailing everything to myself & then put it on desktop that way,but that takes too long.Any other suggestions?Thanks in advance for all your help.

MetalMilitia

Re: Connecting 2 computers
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 12:14:42 PM »
Firstly what operating system are you using on both systems?
I would probably do it with a 'cat 5 UTP crossover cable' assuming both PCs have network interface cards. Then if you are using windows XP run the network wizard on both PCs. This should easily network the two together.
If you are using windows 98 se/ ME/NT/2K you will probably have to do it using ip addresses.

To do it with IPs
First, right click on 'my computer' on both PCs and check the workgroup is the same, then give each a name (e.g. desktop/laptop)

Then go into the network > TCP-IP options then set the IP on one machine to '192.168.100.1' and the other machines to '192.168.100.2'. The Subnet mask for both will be '255.255.255.0'. You shouldnt need to chnage anything else.

Once you think you have done this, open a command prompt and type 'ping 192.168.100.1' (or whatever the IP of the other machine is) If you get replys it is working if not something is wrong (or a firewall is stopping it).

Assuming everythign is workign right, right click on the folder you want to share and go to properties then the shareing tab. Select the 'share this on the network'  (This is in XP, im unsure about 98 ).

Now go to the other computer and go to the 'my network places icon' click it, then go to the workgroups name and all the PCs on the network will be displayed. Double click the file with the name of the computer you wish to access, in here should be any shared folders.

If you decide ot do it this way il be happy to clarify anything about it for you.

There are other ways of connecting the two PCs together but they would be more complicated (e.g using firewire ports, serial, mabey even a way of diong it via USB)

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 12:15:21 PM by MetalMilitia »

SouthernBlue

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 10:30:52 AM »
Sorry I didn't say what operating systems I have in first post,I wasn't thinking.Anyway I am running XP on both computers.I will try your suggestion and see if that works.Thanks for your help.

MetalMilitia

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 09:27:11 AM »
Ok, if you are using XP on both you shouldnt need to mess with the IP options just set them to, automatically determin my IP and the same with the subnet mask. But i think the wizard dows this for you anyway.
Before when you tried it did you just use a regualar patch cable or a crossover?

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 07:35:19 AM »
If you want high-speed transfer rates go with a USB 2 File Transfer Cable

Jamie

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 05:48:22 PM »
if u can get hold of a usb to usb cable and a copy of laplink it shld b fairly self explanitory. me thinks