Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSN Messenger hacked  (Read 13830 times)

lucille

MSN Messenger hacked
« on: October 23, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »
I believe someone I know has hacked into my msn messenger, since they have information and text that i sent only via messenger. I found out that there are "sniffer" programs that can monitor live sessions of messenger. However, my question is, how can i detect whether this happened to me? It seems that these sniffer programs only work in computers that are on the same network, which is not the case here. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    Re: MSN Messenger hacked
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
    more info on your computer plz and the network... what makes you feel that someone has hacked your messenger info??

unlovedwarrior

lucille

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »
    hi thanks for your prompt reply. i have a laptop, wndows xp professional, use a wireless network at home in venezuela, connected to a local isp, i have windows live messenger 7. let me know what other info you need.

days ago my ex boyfriend send me via email some text that i had written via messenger to a friend. he claims she copied and pasted this to him via messenger. however, i checked my friend's saved message history and there is nothng of the sort. this person is very computer savvy, it's his job.

i connect to the internet in my home and he connects through a similar wireless network at home, or at work (don't know what the connection is like there).  i have, however, used my computer at his house, which means i connected to his wireless network. but, that was at least a week ago, and i didnt send the text that he picked up, until only  a few days ago. this makes me think that he didnt physically look through my computer (since he and my computer havent been in the same place since i wrote that im) but rather eavesdropped on my conversations. my question is whether this is possible, and whether i have a way to be sure this is what happened.

i hope this makes sense. thanks again.

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:15:48 PM »
      im not sure but maybe on his network there might be a log kept of the ims youve sent i know there is a log on ur computer for this. a way to test to see if he does indeed have your information is to send your friend and email with something that seems very personal maybe something that would get ur exs attentin then call ur friend and tell him what you are doing so he doesnt get confused.. and see if ur ex contacts you about it.

also dl spybot search and destroy and Ccleaner update them both and do the scans mainly spybot to see if he put a keylogger on ur computer or any other program of that type

unlovedwarrior
      « Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:17:14 PM by unlovedwarrior »

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »
        Yea i was going to say, A keylogger. Id recommend doing a virus scan just incase. What kind of anti virus do you have?

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them

JPH

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 03:28:40 PM »
          Hi lucille, welcome to Computer Hope.
          Are you using encryption (WEP, WPA etc.) or any other security measures (ie MAC Address Filtering) with your wireless network at home? If not, your ex could sit outside your house with a laptop running a packet sniffer and easily capture your messenger conversations.

- JPH

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 03:28:45 PM »
            what kind of firewall do you have?? if any

lucille

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:55:14 PM »
            hi. i just ran spybot search and destroy. by the way, nod32, spysweeper and counterspy didnt pick up on anything. but spybot found:

coolwwwsearch.svcinit (two entries: a program file and autorun settings)
            win32.advertmen

is either of these a keylogger? the info the program is giving me doesnt make it clear

thanks!

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 03:58:36 PM »
              no those cause pop ups. as jph asked what kind of wireless encryption (WEP, WPA etc.) are you using. and easy way to tell if you have any encryption (WEP, WPA etc.) is when you get on your network at anytime did it ask you to put a key in (10- 15 character code to access the router)??

chriscool9

Apprentice

• Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
                I dont think thats anything that could be logging you.
                Also if you could awnser our questions it would be alot easier for us to help you:
                Have you got Anti Virus if so have you done a complete Virus Scan?!
                Are you using a firewall?!?!

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 03:59:18 PM »
                  hi. i just ran spybot search and destroy. by the way, nod32, spysweeper and counterspy didnt pick up on anything. but spybot found:

coolwwwsearch.svcinit (two entries: a program file and autorun settings)
                  win32.advertmen

is either of these a keylogger? the info the program is giving me doesnt make it clear

thanks!

did you remove thoses??

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 04:00:09 PM »
                    I dont think thats anything that could be logging you.
                    Also if you could awnser our questions it would be alot easier for us to help you:
                    Have you got Anti Virus if so have you done a complete Virus Scan?!
                    Are you using a firewall?!?!

Chris
                    other than the router one and windows firewall
                    « Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 04:01:43 PM by unlovedwarrior »

lucille

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »
                    unlovedwarrior, i havent removed them yet. i just did the scan. i was afraid if i remove them i would lose proof. first i just wanted to check if they had anything to do with the problem, and then if there was anything i could do to see how they have been affecting my computer, before i remove them. maybe this is not wise...this is why im here ;)

unlovedwarrior

Guru

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
                      u can remove them... what antivirus do you have?? and firewall and wireless encrpytion

lucille

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 04:04:20 PM »
                      i do have antivirus, nod32, like i said. it didnt pick up anything. about the firewall, i use my sister's wireless and have sent the question to her but received no reply yet. i only have the regular windows firewall in my computer. thanks a lot for your help. i am trying my best to answer all the questions.