Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: power supply  (Read 5194 times)

aeromom

Re: power supply
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 08:54:24 AM »
looks like that's what I'll have to do.  Gees.  Any suggestions where to buy one, on line?

aeromom

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 09:22:12 AM »
LOL :) I know that place.  But, I would want one that is the right one for this model pc.  So far, on ebay, not much in descriptions.  Oh, and I see switchs on the back!  Switches scare me now  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 09:55:37 AM »
Suggested Reading

And don't be scared of switches...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aeromom

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 10:11:44 AM »
I've been to his site  :)  Even checked out his installing the psu, the last step, turn the power switch on.  Which I did, but it doesn't shut down when I shut down windows.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 10:17:51 AM »
This is absolutely the MOST important part of that link Patio gave you:

Avoid Power Supplies Under $30
Most power supplies that are priced below $30 generally do not meet the power requirements of the latest processors. To make matters worse, the components used in them are of inferior quality and more likely to fail over time. While they may power the computer system, inconsistencies in the power to the components will tend to cause instability and damage to the computer.

aeromom

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 10:26:44 AM »
I saw that right away.  What struck me?  The one I bought isn't under 30, and everything I see on ebay is.  

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »
Don't go to EBay...try newegg instead.

GX1_Man

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 10:32:21 AM »
and think Antec.  ;)

No 250w power supply is worth $30. No doubt that's what they sold it for, though.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 10:33:30 AM by GX1_Man »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »

aeromom

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 10:41:26 AM »
I was going to ask what type.  Ebay has Dynex, Echo, Antec, and again most are below $30.
Thanks
 :)

aeromom

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 10:47:58 AM »
"Power supply buyers and shoppers are generally naïve, trusting manufacturer claims blindly. "

Yep, that would be me, found that on 2nd good read you sent me, thanks.  

I'm still lost as to what to buy.  This computer is not used for anything expect trolling the internet, ex, ticketmaster, for concerts, lol, stuff like that.  And email.  Nothing more.  

I just don't care for the fact that the only way to turn this baby off is to flip a switch on the back.
That's why I said switches scare me  :), don't want to by another one to replace this new one, and have the same problem.

thanks everyone for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Sambob

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 01:03:34 PM »
I'm sure it wouls be a lot easier to just get into the habit of switching it off at the wall, unplugging it as well. That way, with it unplugged, it is even protected against power surges that can blow up hard drives.

It's what I used to do with min before I got surge protected. I still switch it off at the socket though.

aeromom

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
That's what he'll have to do, flip the switch.  I'd rather buy him another PSU, so he didn't have to do that, and return this one.  But that's me, it's the principal of the thing.  Yeah, that gets me far, LOL.
He's satisfied with shutting down, then flipping the switch.