Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stereo help  (Read 4453 times)

3rdGenGator

Stereo help
« on: September 22, 2004, 09:19:04 AM »
I am a computer novice working on my home after it was partly destroyed by Hurricane Charley.  I want to play music from my home Computer (a Dell desktop) through my home stereo system.  How do I connet the computer to the stereo?  The stereo has the typical dual plug inputs for aux. inputs, what type of connectors and cable to I need?  Do I need anything else?

Computer_Commando

Re: Stereo help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 06:53:36 PM »
On your computer:  there should be several audio mini-jacks: line-in, mic, out (speaker)

out (speaker) to stereo aux-in should work for you.  Since most computer speakers are powered (amplified), the sound out is a low level out.

It looks like this, but longer:  http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=11423+AC
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 06:58:39 PM by Computer_Commando »

3rdGenGator

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 08:44:23 AM »
Thanks Commando!  By the way, I may have a run of up to 70 feed, do you think the output from the computer will be strong enough for that?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 02:49:31 PM »
Output level should be more than sufficient.  I'd be more concerned about noise pickup from the long run.  You'll just have to try it and see if it works.  I use an old boombox do the same thing, but length is only about 8ft.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 02:49:49 PM by Computer_Commando »

MalikTous

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 03:57:45 PM »
Yes, a dual RCA 'tulip' plug to 3.5mm stereo headset plug adaptor at the back of the stereo, and a long shielded headset extension cable (3.5mm stereo plug to jack) between the PC sound out jack and the stereo adaptor, should do fine. Be ready for some nice sound from this, a good stereo can outperform typical computer speakers...

3rdGenGator

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 03:58:53 PM »
As an alternative, would it be possible to accomplish this by instaling a LAN?  Is there a wireless hub I can use on my stereo to receive from my main computer which would eliminate the need to run wires?

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 04:11:25 PM »
Certainly. You can stream both audio and video over a wireless network with the proper equipment.

3rdGenGator

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 04:13:58 PM »
What equipment would you recommend?