Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which card is better?  (Read 2628 times)

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • That's not Data!
    Which card is better?
    « on: November 21, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
    Is a high-end 6000 series (6800XT) better or worse than a low/mid-range 7000 series (7300GS). They both have 256MB onboard.
    System Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1024MB DDR400
    GeForce 7600GS
    160GB SATA II
    500-watt PSU
    Techforumz.tk

GX1_Man

Re: Which card is better?
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 03:53:35 AM »
    Track should be along shortly.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 06:46:57 AM »
      By onboard I assume you mean dedicated RAM on the graphics card (good)?

The high end GeForce 6 series cards are faster than the low end GeForce 7 cards, with some overlap in the middle. If you want a good graphics card though, why not simply get a high end GeForce 7? (Or is this just a question of curiosity? :P)

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 09:40:55 AM »
        Is a high-end 6000 series (6800XT) better or worse than a low/mid-range 7000 series (7300GS). They both have 256MB onboard.

The high-end x8xx or x9xx cards are always a lot better than the low-end x2xx or x3xx cards of that same series. The low-end cards are budget cards, wich are usually bought by ppl who dont wish to play games, or dont have very much money and have to play older games.

Sometimes the gap beetween a series is so big, that a high-end card of the last series is abt the same as the low-end card of the current series, in overall performance.
        The high-end still has a better core, having more pipelines, but it usually uses a higher process, and so the core clock can only get to a certain clock speed, while the new low-end has less pipelines but can achieve higher clocks, and in wich case can have similar performance.

With graphics card, the best way to know how well a card will perform and fast it is, is to look at the average price. Two cards, both priced ~200$, will give USUALLY guarantee u very similar performance.

The 6800 XT is the slowest of the 6800 family (the fastest being the 6800 Ultra Extreme). The 7300 GS, a low-end card of the 7 series has about the same core performance as the 6800 XT, purely because of it's higher clock speeds.

In this case, the 6800 XT is still a lot better, because it has a 256-bit memory interface, while the 7300 GS has a 64-bit memory interface, despite the fact that, again, the 7300 GS can achieve a higher memory clock.

The simple answer is, its possible for a high-end card of a former series to have similar performance as a low-end card of the current series because of cheaper technology and new ways of giving more performance for less. But the high-end card almost always have places where they will always be better, and so to know how well a card will perform, check it's price.
        Or better yet, use this site to tell u exactly how good each card is - http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=441&card2=376
        That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        • That's not Data!
          « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:44:55 PM »
          The reason I don't get a 7600/7800 is because i'm on a budget. $460 for the entire PC.
          So... The 6800XT is better because of the 256-bit memory? It has to be able to play the latest games while staying within the $460 limit. I think the 6800XT is slighty more expensive than the 7300GS. Here are the specs:
          Athlon 64 3200
          1GB DDR 400
          120GB hard drive
          geforce xx00xx graphics card
          soundblaster live
          500-watt psu
          If you can find me a good card for about $70 at newegg that'de be great
          « Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 03:48:54 PM by linuxlover »
          System Specs:
          AMD Athlon 64 3200+
          1024MB DDR400
          GeForce 7600GS
          160GB SATA II
          500-watt PSU
          Techforumz.tk

jugalojay

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:44:34 PM »
          How much is the 6800XT graphics card and where are you buying it from.

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          • That's not Data!
            « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »
            About $80. I'm getting it from Newegg.com. I take it you recieved part 1 of my tutorial?
            System Specs:
            AMD Athlon 64 3200+
            1024MB DDR400
            GeForce 7600GS
            160GB SATA II
            500-watt PSU
            Techforumz.tk

jugalojay

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 10:36:58 AM »
            YA, I recieved page 1, 2, and, the lesson. So Newegg.com sells alot of things pretty cheap. I've been to Tigerdirect.com but its not that helpfull at all. It sells some good stuff but at a more expensive price. TigerDirect is wanting to sell the 6800 XT video card for 145$. I eant the 7950GX2 Video Card but I dont have 610$. I dont even know if my PSU will run it though. But I'm thinking about just ordering my new things and using this case. I'll PM you about it though.

JugaloJay [smiley=cool.gif]

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 08:34:17 PM »
              The reason I don't get a 7600/7800 is because i'm on a budget. $460 for the entire PC.
              So... The 6800XT is better because of the 256-bit memory? It has to be able to play the latest games while staying within the $460 limit. I think the 6800XT is slighty more expensive than the 7300GS. Here are the specs:
              Athlon 64 3200
              1GB DDR 400
              120GB hard drive
              geforce xx00xx graphics card
              soundblaster live
              500-watt psu
              If you can find me a good card for about $70 at newegg that'de be great

X800GTO is what i very strongly reccomend. It should be around 120$ but its worth every penny.
              Its better than the 7600 GT, wich costs 150$+ and u can unlock it's pipelines making it as powerfull as the 7800 GT wich costs a lot more.

linuxlover

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              • That's not Data!
                « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 08:42:45 PM »
                Define "unlock pipeline"? I don't even KNOW what a pipeline IS! I'm assuming that it's the amount of data channels that can access the memory simultaniusly. Can you explain how to do this. Can I unlock the 7600GS's pipeline?
                System Specs:
                AMD Athlon 64 3200+
                1024MB DDR400
                GeForce 7600GS
                160GB SATA II
                500-watt PSU
                Techforumz.tk

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 09:06:12 PM »
                  Define "unlock pipeline"? I don't even KNOW what a pipeline IS! I'm assuming that it's the amount of data channels that can access the memory simultaniusly. Can you explain how to do this. Can I unlock the 7600GS's pipeline?

No, pipelines have to do with the core, or the GPU.
                  The GPU's performance is estimated by multiplying the ammount of pipelines, by the core clock.
                  If u have 4 pipelines for textures (e.g. Texture Units), with a core clock of 200Mhz, then u have an 800 Million texels per second performance output. The more pipelines a card has, the more powerfull it will be because each clock cycle will have more pipelines to go through.

The X800 GTO has 12 pipelines with a core clock of 400Mhz. The card has the R480 core. This core is supposed to have 16 pipelines, but ATI have locked 4 of it's pipelines, making is weaker.
                  You have the ability to un-lock these 4 pipelines, give u 33% performance boost. After that, u can also overclock the core clock to 500Mhz and have even higher performance.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=321&card2=

That is why the X800 GTO costs 120$, but it's performance is that of a 200$ card. I reccomend it to everyone who cant afford a 7900 GS or above.
                  « Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:06:29 PM by Track »