Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Activation - original post.  (Read 12852 times)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: XP Activation
    « Reply #30 on: December 01, 2006, 03:37:49 PM »
    I tend to agree ..........

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #31 on: December 01, 2006, 09:00:52 PM »
    what is more senseless?

1. Someone that asks a rediculus question with no reguard to anyones advice.....
        But reads the repetitious and sometimes hateful answers, and continue's to reply

2. Someone that askes a good legitamate question with no intention of reading/repling.

Reading hedonist's first two posts give a pretty good idea of what kind of advice he wanted if any...

Anyone care to [highlight]tell me[/highlight] in advance [highlight]what happens?[/highlight]

[highlight]I[/highlight] just [highlight]want[/highlight] to [highlight]experience[/highlight] what happens if the OS is not activated.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:04:17 PM by fat_basterd21 »
    CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!

Hedonist

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: XP Activation - End Result.
      « Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 03:13:02 PM »
      The Lock-Up day/time came a bit earlier than I had anticipated.  The result is:

On Normal startup the following message is displayed:
      "This copy of Windows must be activated with MicroSoft before you can log on.  Do you want to activate Windows now?" with Yes/No options.

Selecting the No option causes a loop back to the above message with another option to Turn Off the computer.

Using Safe Mode and selection "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" appears to work fine.  Some Dos-based programs ran well, others didn't.  The latter probably because the Path was not set to suit and drivers were not loaded.

Media Player ran in Safe mode (didn't try to actually get it to play anything) as did some system utilities using Start>Run but struck a problem of the mouse not being available, possibly driver trouble again.

I may repeat the exercise later just to find out if I can improve on the performance of a non-activated OS by pre-installing drivers and other programs but having experienced some of the 'anti' brigade comments I will definitely not be asking or commenting about it on CH.

My concluson: [highlight]for me a worthwhile exercise[/highlight] in gathering information, it's just as important to know that something will not work as it is to know that it will.  I have had no problems in Partitioning/Formatting the hdd, installing the OS or Activating  XP online.

Thank you all for your input, I will now delete my irrelevant posts and I ask you to do the same.

G'bye y'all till next time...

H.

GX1_Man

Re: XP Activation - original post.
      « Reply #33 on: December 02, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »
      He was told this on 11/24. There was no mystery, no surprise.....  ::)

The "anti-brigade comments" were because the original poster was wasting our time by making it some sort of contest based on his own misinformation. If he feels this was unwarranted that's his opinion. I have mine. Outside of Street1 most others abandoned this thread long ago as well.
      « Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:01:09 PM by GX1_Man »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 07:20:59 PM »
      He was told this on 11/24. There was no mystery, no surprise.....  ::)

The "anti-brigade comments" were because the original poster was wasting our time by making it some sort of contest based on his own misinformation. If he feels this was unwarranted that's his opinion. I have mine. Outside of Street1 most others abandoned this thread long ago as well.

I deleted all of my responses to this post waste of space... ;D
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »
      So to conclude i guess if you don't activate XP within the time parameters specified by the Mothership then you can run in SafeMode forever ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
      « Reply #36 on: December 03, 2006, 06:07:20 AM »
      So to conclude i guess if you don't activate XP within the time parameters specified by the Mothership then you can run in SafeMode forever ? ?

Unless.....................LOL
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2006, 07:31:24 PM »

JohnK

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 07:50:31 PM »
      I was curious about this too so I put an old hard drive in my computer, installed XP, and then set the date ahead 30 days. The result was... um... [sarcasm]exciting[/sarcasm]! Alls it did was it would let me log in and then bring up the activation wizard. That's it! Nothing exciting! Windows didn't explode; it let me boot, and yes, this one of the most useless CH threads i've seen! Also, setting the date backward after the 30 days is up doesn't do any good.

-John
      « Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:54:07 PM by John_K_Perkins_Jr »

Valerie

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 12:09:27 AM »
      [highlight]I was curious about this too[/highlight] so I put an old hard drive in my computer, installed XP, and then set the date ahead 30 days......    [highlight]Also, setting the date backward after the 30 days is up doesn't do any good.[/highlight]

-John

Don't knock it.  Like Hedonist and others who read the posts but did not reply you learned something so why say the thread was useless.  You may not be able to make use of the information  but you will now be able to advise someone who like you is also curious.

At least you were interested enough to use another hard drive and install XP to satisfy your curiosity.  You may never have done this if you had not visited the thread started by Hedonist who hung in there despite what he called the anti brigade.  

V..

GX1_Man

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 03:52:41 AM »
      Hedonist ..... I'm really curious , why would you simply not activate it now ?
      It will simply cease functioning after the 30 days.........

[highlight]After 30 days, the computer will stop working except in Safe Mode (it works in Safe Mode, so you can activate there). [/highlight]

I just want to experience what happens if the OS is not activated.
         ....LOL ..... then you only have 7 days to go ........

dl65  ::)

The answer was given on 11/24.  ;)

Valerie

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 10:45:42 AM »
      [highlight]Be sure and keep us posted.[/highlight]

At no point did I find that Hedonist indicated that he would abort his 'experiment' when someone told him what would happen.  He only asked if someone would advise him in advance what the outcome would be and was eventually given this info.  Then he followed your request  above also posted on the 24th.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
      And the foolishness continues......

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
      « Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »
      And the foolishness continues......

Are you trying it now fat_basterd21 ? :-?

I want tell anyone. ;D

GX1_Man

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »
      At no point did I find that Hedonist indicated that he would abort his 'experiment' when someone told him what would happen.  He only asked if someone would advise him in advance what the outcome would be and was eventually given this info.  Then he followed your request  above also posted on the 24th.

Yes, but he included some misinformation along the way as well. As the posts have been deleted by him, I can't reference those for you.