Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: graphics driver causing computer to reboot...why  (Read 6227 times)

keith

graphics driver causing computer to reboot...why
« on: September 27, 2004, 08:33:45 AM »
I just got a brand new pc.  It seemed to be working fine when all of a sudden it shut down.  it then displayed the black page that first comes up when you turn it on. it says geforce fx 5200 BIOS then starts up the pc. when windows starts it lets me send an error report. after the report sends, it takes me to a microsoft help page that says its a graphics driver error.  can anyone help?

cjkgmgod

Re: graphics driver causing computer to reboot...w
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 05:47:36 PM »
Try reloading the graphics driver. If you do not have the disk you can try the manufacturers web site or at  http://www.driverguide.com  If it won't boot to the desktop, boot up in safe made by pressing F8 on boot up and choose safe mode.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 10:44:10 PM by cjkgmgod »

bootzy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 09:54:51 PM »
I'm having a similar problem.  I tried to update my video card driver and when I reboot I can't get to the desktop, the screen just goes black after the windows loading screen and then the comp reboots automatically again and again.  I got to the desktop in safe mode, and tried putting the driver settings back the way they were, but its still doing it.  

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 08:59:16 AM »
Ok guys... I just got over this problem myself.... Your video card is NOT compatible... I'm guessing that these are 8X cards.... YOU NEED TO GET THE VIDEO CARDS OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW!!! If you do not, you put your motherboard at risk... (I was told that I almost "fried" mine) Take them back to the stores, and check the compatibility before you buy...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 09:00:18 AM »
Sorry! I forgot to mention that your computer's motherboard is only at risk if the computer is on... If it is off, then there is no danger...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 09:12:10 AM »
...If you do not, you put your motherboard at risk... (I was told that I almost "fried" mine) ...

You do not understand how the hardware operates.  
Read and learn: AGP Compatibility

The designers took all this into consideration:
1.  Speed is backwards compatible.
2.  Board edge connectors are "keyed".  If the board plugs in, you cannot damage anything.

bootzy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 10:20:30 AM »
Um...I'm pretty sure my video card is compatible, seeing as I've been using it for about 6 months now with no problem...

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 12:57:34 PM »
    Boot in Safe Mode. Uninstall the video card (right click on my computer, properties, hardware...). Then boot normally and reinstall video card drivers.