Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Texture flickering, card overheating?  (Read 5049 times)

elcaro

Texture flickering, card overheating?
« on: December 23, 2006, 04:07:14 AM »
Not sure if there is something wrong with my graphics.

But when I was playing Splinter Cell-Chaos theory demo and SWAT 4 demo, I kept getting texture flickers and after awhile the game would crash to a black screen and the only option is to reboot the comp.

I have a Radeon 9800 XT, with the latest driver.

I just had my HD replaced a few days ago and I've never had any problems with texture flickering.

I tried a couple of other games and I got the same problem, but less pronounced. Everything is the same except I have the new driver, SP2 instead of SP1 and HD, so I'm wondering what else could be the problem apart from maybe the driver.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 07:38:45 PM by elcaro »

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Problem with texture flickering in games.
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 06:37:35 AM »
    It would be worth reinstalling the drivers, but this is probably caused by overheating. Does your graphics card have some kind of temperature measuring facility?

elcaro

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »
    I installed the other driver and it's the same  :(

So I think it's probably from overheating. Not sure if it's got a temperature measuring facility, is there any way to check?

What's my best option to fix this problem? I'm just baffled why the card is overheating now, when it was working perfectly before.

magician

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 12:33:37 AM »
    All jokeing aside...open your case and see if you've got any dust in there, spray it out (with the proper canned air, of course.) and leave one side of the case off and see if that helps any.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 06:51:28 AM »
      If you're using ATI, you should have a red ATI icon on the right-hand task bar? Have a peeky in there. My temperature gauge is in the "ATI Overdrive" section.

elcaro

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 06:34:53 PM »
      Ok, I'll have to install the ATI control panel thingy.

And I'll open the case and see if that'll improve things. What's this proper canned air you referred to magician?

elcaro

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 07:37:46 PM »
      I've installed the Control Center for the card and under Graphics Processor Status, the temperature reading is 99C and 97C with the case open (that's pretty much boiling point  :o). The ambient temperature in the room is not even 20C, or around 70F.

This is just with the internet browser open and nothing else. How reliable do you think the readings are?

Also, I have not overclocked my card and ATI overdrive is not enabled. The fan on the card is also working.

Overdrive level for Graphics Processor Status is currently at 398 MHz and for Graphics Memory Status, 365 MHz. The default clock speed is 412 MHz, my speed is actually 14 MHz lower.

What can I do now? I don't understand why the temp is so high on my card.

elcaro

Re: Texture flickering, card overheating?
      « Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 08:30:11 PM »
      I ran Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory again and at the start of the game, the temp goes to 107C and after about 5 mins or so, the flickering starts, first small and then gets larger and the temp goes up to 116C.

I think the limit for my card is 127C.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 09:25:40 PM »
      Well, you're about to ruin it then.

We have no details about the machine except for the card and that would help, don't you think?

While the case is opened are all of the fans spinning in there? What kind of hard drive? What make and wattage power supply? Was anything else changed or touched from when it worked correctly to now? (I am assuming it used to work correctly with that game.)

What make and size hard drive?

elcaro

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 09:52:07 PM »
      Yep, all the fans are spinning.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IG1000-G
      Hard Drive: WD1600JS-60MHB5 Edit: 160 gig
      Power: Eagle DR-B350ATX (350 W)

Only the HDD was changed, I don't think there were any other hardware changes.

And yes, before the HDD was replaced, the card was working perfectly. I'm really stumped  :-/
      « Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 09:54:51 PM by elcaro »

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 10:00:48 PM »
      Out of curiosity how old is that power supply? You seem to be on the upper limits of what it can handle, if not exceeding. Eagle is not a top of the line manufacturer either.

Do you have another known working power supply you could borrow, or whatever, to test with?

What if you blow a fan directly in there with the side cover off?

elcaro

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 10:04:42 PM »
      My comp was built about 2 years ago, so the power supply will have to be at least 2 years old.

elcaro

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »
      I turned on the comp today and checked if the fan on the card was spinning. It wasn't, so I gave it a nudge and it started spinning again  :o That brought the temp down to about 70C.

I turned the comp off and then started it to see if the fan will start on its own. It did, but now the temp is about 88C, with just the internet browser open.

Very strange. Does anyone know what is a normal temp for a Radeon 9800 XT?

Is 350W power enough, what is the normal power supply one should have these days? Could it be that the fan on the card is not getting enough power and is not spinning as fast as it should be?

elcaro

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2006, 08:22:52 PM »
      The temp is now approaching 100C again, the fan is spinning but the speed is not constant, it slows and then speeds up again, every second.

stones

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 09:53:31 PM »
      To my own experience the higher level ATI cards run very hot with their insufficient factory cooling setups, I would suggest investing in an aftermarket VGA cooler.
      Heres where I get my stuff-  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Sort=4&Nav=|c:498|&Recs=30

Heres a cooler made to fit your 9800xt card- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1576849&CatId=0