Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem displaying video on widescreen monitor  (Read 2941 times)

xurich

Problem displaying video on widescreen monitor
« on: December 25, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »
Hi, I'm having some trouble with a Sceptre X9WG-NAGAV 19" 16:9 wide screen LCD monitor. When attempting to play video (I've tried on both Windows Media Player and Winamp), the video gets cut on the sides and top/bottom. It's like only seeing the center of the video. It doesn't seem to stretch to fit the window at all. Using full screen or windowed didn't alter the problem. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT and my current resolution is 1440x900, if that information might be helpful. I've tried to solve the problem unsuccessfully for an hour or so, but I just can't figure it out. I've also searched for my question on these forums, but I didn't find any relevant results, so I apologize if I missed it.

I appreciate any feedback or assistance that you can give me. It's probably a very simple fix; sometimes I tend to miss the obvious. :P Merry Christmas all.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem displaying video on widescreen monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 01:06:14 PM »
Welcome to Computerhope, and Merry Christmas to you too, xurich.
Is there an option within the nVidia drivers (is it the Detonator drivers?) to change the video mode?
I don't recall exactly what it's called (it'll be different with nVidia anyway), but with the ATi Catalyst software you can change the display ratio, scaling and other options.
Have a look around in the drivers and see what you can find.
Hope this helps.
Calum.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 08:11:47 PM »
    Try changing the resolution to a lower settng.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

xurich

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 11:56:59 PM »
    Thanks for the replies. I tried both suggestions, but I didn't have luck with either of them. :( I really don't know what the problem could be, but it's pointless having a widescreen monitor if I can't watch videos!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 03:25:11 AM »
    May seem obvious, but have you tried right clicking the video whilst it's playing and choosing a different size?

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 03:28:38 AM »
    Hi, I'm having some trouble with a Sceptre X9WG-NAGAV 19" 16:9 wide screen LCD monitor. When attempting to play video (I've tried on both Windows Media Player and Winamp), the video gets cut on the sides and top/bottom. It's like only seeing the center of the video. It doesn't seem to stretch to fit the window at all. [highlight]Using full screen or windowed didn't alter the problem[/highlight]. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT and my current resolution is 1440x900, if that information might be helpful. I've tried to solve the problem unsuccessfully for an hour or so, but I just can't figure it out. I've also searched for my question on these forums, but I didn't find any relevant results, so I apologize if I missed it.

I appreciate any feedback or assistance that you can give me. It's probably a very simple fix; sometimes I tend to miss the obvious. :P Merry Christmas all.

Sorry Calum, xurich already tried that. It does have something to do with the resolution, change the resolution so that it is lower(I have mine set at 1024 X 768 and it seems to work fine for me).
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:34:06 AM by fffreak »
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 03:44:19 AM »
    So they did, I must learn to read.
    Xurich also already tried changing the resolution - look above.

fffreak

Adviser

• That's right I am a final fantasy freak.
      • Yes
      • JSPCRepair
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 03:48:28 AM »
    I saw that Calum but, did xurich try all the resolutions, he may still be at too high of a resolution.
    [edit]He doesn't say anything about modifying the resolution, he just says that it is set at 1440 X 900.[/edit]
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:58:30 AM by fffreak »
    Computers are the future, not us. Learn everything you can about them while you still can, soon they will be learning about us... Every bit of advice that I give you is best guess, it is your choice whether or not you listen to it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 03:56:44 AM »
    OK, fair enough.
    However, remember that LCD monitors work at a native resolution, at a higher or lower than native resolution the display becomes fuzzy and distorted.
    Edit:
    I tried both suggestions, but I didn't have luck with either of them.
    Referring to my suggestion and Ale52's -
    Try changing the resolution to a lower settng.
    « Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:59:43 AM by Calum »