Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP Pro  (Read 3066 times)

zipcool

Win XP Pro
« on: December 30, 2006, 11:32:30 PM »
I have OEM Win XP Pro on one of my H/drives. I read here somewhere in this forum instructions to copy it to a disk.

Anyone? :P

Zipcool

GX1_Man

Re: Win XP Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 06:17:44 AM »
WinXP Pro can only be installed from a CD. Did you download this from somewhere? What are you trying to do exactly?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 06:18:04 AM by GX1_Man »

heek9pm

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:14:13 AM »
Perhaps you mean to say you got a brand new PC from a big company and they did not provide a CD to install XP if needed. There may be some kind of built-in method to rescue CP if it goes bad. But still, you want to have a reliable backup method. Search this site for "How to backup Windows XP" for some help on this.
 :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
I think we need to wait for him to explain further what he is trying to accomplish. He says he is an IT student so he should be able to convey this.  ::)

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1160454627/6#6
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:35:41 PM by GX1_Man »

zipcool

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 10:40:22 PM »
He (Zipcool) is a she, by the way.  :o As for my studies, yes, I am 75% through an IT course with Thompsons. Whatever that is worth. I recall reading somewhere that WinXP Pro could be copied from the hard drive to a disk, thought that it was this Forum.

One of my older machines, P3, 650mhz, 512k ram, running on XPHome ( a freebie) is very unstable. I have another machine running XP Pro ( Hve no disk) and wanted to see if the Pro version would be more stable on the old P3. Hence the query re XP pro.

Guess it's a no no.

Zipcool 8-)

stones

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »
It can be done, the problem is that due to legal issues it cannot be discussed on this forum as the administrator/s could face legal trouble.
What I can do for you is this, I will give you 2 pictures to look at and from there its your own decision.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:52:59 AM »
If it is already installed on another machine then no, it cannot be loaded again on a different computer. You also can not make a CD from an installation. Windows must be installed from the original legal CD.

Pro is no more stable than Home version by the way.  ;)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 04:56:41 AM by GX1_Man »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 05:20:15 AM »
Pro is no more stable than Home version by the way. ;)
No, but it does have a few more features.
However, if you don't know what the features are then you don't need them.
;)