Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Second hand Laptop  (Read 8210 times)

Raptor

Second hand Laptop
« on: October 02, 2004, 05:12:32 AM »
If I were to buy a second hand laptop what would I have to look out for?

What brand offers the most compact Laptops and what kind of price can I expect to pay?

Is it possible to easily upgrade or replace defective components?

I would like a Laptop that is USB compatible (2.0 preferable) how does this work on Laptops? When was USB introduced on Laptops and will this increase the price?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 05:39:13 AM by Raptor »

Raptor

Re: Second hand Laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 05:20:57 AM »
When I look at (cheap) second hand Laptops I often see that there is either a problem with the battery or the display, is this something that can be fixed or is this always a permanent mark?  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 05:37:12 AM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 01:07:13 PM »
some secod hand laptop can be a pain in the *censored*...ie hard drive missing?lcd burnt out...have a look on ebay or the local press?or here>http://www.val-u-computers.co.uk/

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:09:12 PM »
Local press? Why would I want to go there?

I know where to obtain a Laptop, Merlin.

I donot know what to look out for when buying one. I have no experience with Laptops and donot know how I can check if everything is functioning properly. (Exterior and interior wise)

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 01:35:46 PM »
you need one with a least 128 mb >operating system or more ram and a p3 at least...the hard drive size can depend on what you wish to use it for...and what you wish the laptop to be used for gaming/data storage mvsic video wiffy...the things i would look for is slowness in booting from the hard drive plus noisy in operation and and a lcd thats distored /burnt looking and does the battery hold its power after two days..and a good make...like acer/toshiba/fujisui/siemans..dont take my word for it here is a guide>http://www.laptops-guide.com/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 01:38:44 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 03:26:01 PM »
I'd mainly need it to store files on, shift files from and to my external HDD (USB 2.0), use Microsoft Office and perhaps Photoshop and/or other photo editing tools. But photo editing isn't a requirement since I'd prefer to do that on my Desktop.

It doesn't have to be fast at all, as long as it's got enough processing power to do the things described above.

the things i would look for is slowness in booting from the hard drive plus noisy in operation

Would that indicate a problem or just something that could possibly be annoying?

I'll have a look-see at the webpage you posted the link to. Much obliged.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 03:44:14 PM »
noisy hard drive normally indicate a bearing failure?and you wish to even consider this>you even wish to use one of these instead>http://www.datamind.co.uk/templates/frmTemplateP.asp?CatalogID=710&Zoom=Yes&SubFolderId=82

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 06:06:55 AM »
I donot think I will require one of those.

Any more tips on what to look out for when buying a second hand laptop?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 05:51:48 PM »
I'd mainly need it to store files on, shift files from and to my external HDD (USB 2.0), use Microsoft Office and perhaps Photoshop and/or other photo editing tools. But photo editing isn't a requirement since I'd prefer to do that on my Desktop.

It doesn't have to be fast at all, as long as it's got enough processing power to do the things described above...

I've been using laptops longer than desktops.  Laptops are hindered primarily by their slow hard drives, 4800rpm or 5400rpm.  7200rpm 2.5" notebook drives were recently introduced.

To meet your requirements, a PII-300 or greater with 256MB RAM, a 14.4" TFT screen @ 1024 x 768, would be more than adequate.  Altering screen resolution from "non-native" results in a slightly fuzzy image.  USB 2.0 and ethernet did not show up until P4 laptops.  Some laptops do not use mobile processors, they use desktop processors.  They get extremely hot and have short battery life.  Look for Mobile Pentium or Pentium-M.
Any laptop manufactured 1999 or later will meet most of these specs.  Compare prices here:  http://www.dellauction.com

« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 06:04:40 PM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 11:19:39 PM »
Would there be an European Dellaction website? Those Laptops seem awfully... Opening bids at 9$?