Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Socket 775 Cooler question.  (Read 2310 times)

ZealEmpire

Socket 775 Cooler question.
« on: January 16, 2007, 07:24:16 AM »
Hey guys I had the left over cpu cooler that comes with the core 2 socket 775 processor.  Basically I used a beefier Zalman cooler.  I was in the process of building up my old machine for a friend of mine and wondering if it was possible to use the core 2's stock cooler on a pentium 4 mobo setup.  I mean I do have the cooler that is already on the processor for the pentium but the thing is it is a dell pc so it is built into the case.  I want to just pop out the mobo and whatever else and pop it into a new fancy case that he told me he wanted.  And use the core 2 cpu cooler on his new setup if it fits.

Thanks guys

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Socket 775 Cooler question.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:29:27 PM »
CPU cooler and fan setups are as different as the chips they are designed to protect.

Unless you are comparing OEM to aftermarket...apples and oranges.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stones

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »
Is the heatsink from the core 2 able to fit the socket configuration on the Pentium 4 mob?

If the pentium 4 mobo has a socket 775 processor the core 2 heatsink should fit, as for cooling capacity the core 2 heatsink should be able to handle anything the older p4 could throw at it.

If the p4 mobo is a 478 pin you are SOL unfortunately, some smaller computer stores will give you a partial trade which might be worth looking into if the 775 heatsink doesnt work.

Here is a picture of a 478 heatsink retention module (its upsidedown)

ZealEmpire

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:34:27 AM »
Yes the pentium 4 and the core 2 are both socket 775's so there shouldnt be a problem with this arrangment.  

stones

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 10:41:18 AM »
Yes the pentium 4 and the core 2 are both socket 775's so there shouldnt be a problem with this arrangment.  

Thats great news, I think Patio was describing proprietary OEM setups like the original heatsink on the p4 board not being designed for any other applications but the since you are using a new case and the new core 2's are being packadged with aftermarket designed coolers it shouldnt be a problem in this application.
Example of the 775 cooler used on most core 2's, these should have no problem with a pent 4.