Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Window Instant Messenger query  (Read 4870 times)

katz

Window Instant Messenger query
« on: October 04, 2004, 03:43:56 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Before downloading SP2, when my Windows Messenger logged in, ( please understand I am speaking about the Windows Instant messenger that comes with Windows XP and looks like a little green man on my task bar) a tab would come up and tell me if there was any new mail in my default email inbox. A tab would also come up and tell me if any new mail had arrived while I was chatting on Windows Instant Messenger.  

Now none of these things happen. Instead when I right click to go to my default email inbox, I now have to sign in with my password to get there. I have no pre-information to tell me if there is actually any mail in my Inbox to know if its worth going there. I have no tab come up to tell me if new mail has arrived either.
I Hate it this way.

Someone suggested that SP2 does not support  the Add-in that I was used to and sent me to this site:

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/SP2/common.php#msn

Where it states this:

Windows Messenger 4.7 included in SP2 does not support the MSN Add-in

This change is by design, Windows Messenger 4.7.3000 no longer supports the MSN Add-in. In order to use this you must DOWNGRADE to Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/messenger/download.asp   OR   use MSN Messenger. Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 does not support the attachment excution security feature of Windows XP SP2.

Okay so I go to this site to downgrade back to Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 only to find that the site is as clear as Mud.   I cannot find a downgrade on that site at all.  I even used there search facility and nothing.

I don't want to have both Windows Messenger and MSN Instant Messenger on my task bar either.

A friend of mine had the exact same problem and ended up removing SP2 just so he could have the Windows Instant Messenger back to how it used to be.  I felt that was a bit drastic and now that SP2 is installed should probably keep it.

But what can I do?  Does anyone know anything about this and have any suggestions?

Thank you in Advance for any help on this,

Katz

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Window Instant Messenger query
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 07:09:37 PM »
    katz.....Here's what I would do ....
    Close out messenger 4.7 and remove it from you start menu......
    ( In fact I would remove it completely ) but thats up to you .
    Then I would D/L MSN messenger 6.2.....
    http://messenger.msn.com/
    Now you have the latest messenger , I believe .
    It will notify you when new E mails arrive .......
    When you boot up , it will be in your start menu .......so just sign in and minimize it and forget about it until you want to use it. It will also notify you when any of your contacts signed on .

Hope this helps you .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 11:15:34 PM »
    You can disable Windows Messenger (Which is a known source for causing spam) using a program like Shoot The Messenger.

I suggest you install MSN Messenger once you have disabeled Messenger. (It wil no longer show in your systray) you can simply re-enable it using the same program.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 10:35:21 AM »
    re-configure the firewall in sp2?