Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Boot 3 Beeps  (Read 5994 times)

pbrstreetkid

No Boot 3 Beeps
« on: January 27, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »
I have a computer that I got from a friend of mine,  The pc has an Intel D945Psn motherboard, Pentium D 820 processor, a western digital320 gig sata hard drive, and 2 gigs of OCZ gold memory.  he just installed the memory and went to Bios to see if it was recognised and noticed that it was running at 533mhz instead of 667mhz DDR2 5300 memory , so he changed it to 667mhz and he said when he hit the F10 key the pc shut down and restarted but it beeped 3 times and that was it. I have it hooked to one of my monitors and there is no signal , and it dosent appear to light up the keyboard , the vidio card is an ATI x1600 pro.
  anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? or what i might try  to get this running again. the fans are all running and the cd drive opens but im not sure that it will spin up with a disk installed.

GX1_Man

Re:  No Boot 3 Beeps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
Remove the CMOS battery for about a minute and reinstall. It will reset everything to defaults.

What do 3 beeps mean with that BIOS according to the manual?

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010249.htm

pbrstreetkid

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 07:20:50 PM »
thanks GX1_Man I did try pulling the cmos battery like you said however it is still doing the same thing as before

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 07:25:12 PM »
What about the other things suggested:

Reseat the memory.

Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.

Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. Note: Some systems might need to have a memory module in Bank 0.

Try using RAM chips from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.

Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.

Trying known good memory in the system.

Check the power supply and check for power fluctuations.

Is this a new build? Did it ever work correctly?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:30:59 PM by GX1_Man »

pbrstreetkid

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:52:44 PM »
 I tried a different power supply, and also pulled one of the sticks of ram out and switched it with the stick in bank 0 but still the same 3 beeps, the intel website shows 3 beeps - Base 64 K memory failure  what is this ? is it the memory that is installed in bank 0?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 08:12:54 PM »

The first bank of memory probably has a bad memory chip in it somewhere. It is possible that there is a failure related to the motherboard or a system device as well.

When there is an apparent failure of the system memory, there are a myriad of different possible causes. The most common causes of memory failure (or apparent failure) vary greatly depending on whether the memory is in an existing system or in one that was just assembled or recently upgraded. This is because memory failure in a new system is more often than not due to misconfiguration or using the wrong type of memory, while in a system where the memory once worked, it is more likely that the memory itself has gone bad.

pbrstreetkid

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
Ok ive tried another stick of new memory and still nothing but 3 beeps, I reseated the heatsink , tried another power supply, and even used a SOYO tech aid post card which stopped at 25 which the book says Interrupt vector initialization done. going to read input port of 8042 for turbo switch (if any) and to clear password if post diag switch is on.. the pc is a new build but was running before he switched the memory in bios from 533mhz to 667mhz which is what the memory is supposed to operate at its ddr2 5400 memory. Ive pretty much done everything i could think of so i guess he is going to have to take it somewhere and have it looked at, personally i think the MB or processor is bad !!!!  but thanks GX1_Man for your help

sneakers

Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 12:17:17 AM »
    I must have missed something here, you'r using ddr2 and intel says use ddr ram.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/sn/sn_industryspecs.htm

Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160

pbrstreetkid

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 12:20:19 AM »
    Sorry,  there is 2 sticks of DDR 5400 in there