Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Forum update complete  (Read 7677 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Forum update complete
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:34:57 AM »
The forum update was completed successfully. In addition to the fixes you will also likely notice several new features, some of which are listed below.
  • RSS feeds - Feature I've personally wanted for a long time. This allows you to subscribe to any board by clicking on the RSS button and have the latest posts shown on your RSS reader, RSS page, or anything else capable of interpreting RSS feeds.
  • New YaBB tags, ie: timestamp tag, media tag (WMP, RP, QT, MF support), and color palette.
  • Updated protection and easier method of banning users.
  • New profile options, look at your profile to see them all.
Hope this update helps resolve issues and give users some new features to play with that they may have wanted.

Unfortunately I did encounter one *user error* during the update and that was overwriting the .CSS file that controls the color scheme, fonts, etc. Therefore I had to recreate this file using everything that I could remember users wanted after the last big update. If I missed something or something doesn't look right feel free to mention it.

If you encounter any other errors or problems feel free to post them and I'll do my best to correct them.

-Nathan
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Forum update complete
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 03:09:18 AM »
It all looks great, nice work.
Edit: I see we now have Skype contact options.
Awesome.
I'll fill mine in later when I remember what my Skype address is . . .
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 03:37:35 AM by Calum »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 07:57:06 AM »
Good Work...nicely done.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 08:30:02 AM »
I like it.    8-)

Blackberry

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 08:43:06 AM »
    Good job
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

chriscool9

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 01:04:08 PM »
      Very nice!
      I dont suppose that the enlarged Avatars was possible then?
      Thanks

Chris

99 Problems and London's one of them

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:28:56 PM »
      Oh Chris, your all about Avatars, arent you?
      YaBB Doesent have an avatar ajustment option, it would have to be in the template editor, or a BoardMod

Hey Nathan, how did you get those board mods installed? I could never get them onto my website since I didnt have them on my own server, and BoardMod doesent work through FTP...

The site looks very cool, one of my favorite features is how a user can use their email address instead of just their username, I think it will make it easier for newer users. Now all I need to do is find a good RSS reader :D

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:38:48 PM »
      Now all I need to do is find a good RSS reader :D
      Take a look in IE7's Help for RSS.  It's one of the enhancements in IE7.  I tried Help in Firefox 1.5.0.9 but it had no info.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
      • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »
      Very nice!
      I dont suppose that the enlarged Avatars was possible then?
      Thanks

Chris
      Not that I've been able to find yet, still looking into it. But so far doesn't look like an easy solution.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
      • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
      Oh Chris, your all about Avatars, arent you?
      YaBB Doesent have an avatar ajustment option, it would have to be in the template editor, or a BoardMod

Hey Nathan, how did you get those board mods installed? I could never get them onto my website since I didnt have them on my own server, and BoardMod doesent work through FTP...

The site looks very cool, one of my favorite features is how a user can use their email address instead of just their username, I think it will make it easier for newer users. Now all I need to do is find a good RSS reader :D
      Actually Computer Hope has not been using any board mods, I'm just using the latest YaBB CVS versions, figured since YaBB 2.1 was closed for finally release and none of the CVS files have been updated for the last five months while they work out issues that it would be a good time to update. The YaBB latest CVS files can be found here on source forge. Even though they don't recommend using it for a live site, so use with caution. ;)

As far as getting Boardmod to work when I initially tried it back in the old YaBB 1 days it seemed to work ok, but honestly don't know any troubleshooting steps or what you could do if it's not working other than post a question on their forums.

Also if you're looking for a good RSS reader, I love Google's personalized page, which supports the ability to connect to the Computer Hope's forums RSS as well as hundreds of other RSS feeds and live tools. Just go to Google's home page and click the Personalized Home to set it up.

IE7 also handles RSS feeds very well too as mentioned above, better than Firefox does (without extensions). Just click the RSS and add to your feeds. Once added viewing the favorites and then feeds will show any feed you're subscribed to.
      « Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 07:24:02 PM by admin »
      -Albert Einstein

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 08:08:19 PM »
      Ok, I will give that a try. I have a Google homepage account already, I will just add it

Thanks

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
      I just realized an aspect of the forum update I do not like.  It has nothing to do with viewing the forum online; it's the email notifications.  All of them, regardless of the topic to which they relate, are coming with a subject of simply "Topic reply" instead of, for example, "Topic reply:  Re: Power Point into site".  

I often keep one notification from discussions of interest and seeing the actual title of the discussion as part of Subject provides a quick way of recognizing the actual topic (without looking in the Preview Pane), recognizing duplicates, and sorting by subject to delete notifications where more than one notification has been received on a particular topic.  

If possible, please change this back to the way it was.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
      • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 04:13:16 AM »
      I just realized an aspect of the forum update I do not like.  It has nothing to do with viewing the forum online; it's the email notifications.  All of them, regardless of the topic to which they relate, are coming with a subject of simply "Topic reply" instead of, for example, "Topic reply:  Re: Power Point into site".  

I often keep one notification from discussions of interest and seeing the actual title of the discussion as part of Subject provides a quick way of recognizing the actual topic (without looking in the Preview Pane), recognizing duplicates, and sorting by subject to delete notifications where more than one notification has been received on a particular topic.  

If possible, please change this back to the way it was.
      Ok. I'll look into it. If someone wouldn't mind posting a reply to this post as a test notification it would be appreciated.
      « Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:30:04 AM by admin »
      -Albert Einstein

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 04:48:23 AM »
      Test for the Admin.  ;)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
      • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      « Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 05:17:20 AM »
      Test for the Admin.  ;)
      Thanks issue confirmed and looking into it.
      -Albert Einstein