Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Speeds on Wireless  (Read 3146 times)

GinaL

Speeds on Wireless
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:46:15 AM »
I have two computers hooked to my cable connection.  The download speeds between the two are drastically different.  One being very high (higher than it's ever been) and one being very low.  

BEFORE going wireless I was getting about 500 Kb on my downloads. I have Comcast, which I believe is 6 Mbps/384 Kbps.  Since making the change to wireless and putting 2 computers on my connection things have changed quite a bit.  I tried downloading the same file with each computer and one downloads at 1.36 mb/sec and the other downloads at 170 kb a second.  This is pretty close to what other downloads have been since the change on these computers.  The computer with the lower numbers is older and wireless, which I figured is why it slowed down, but I'm not understanding why my other computer has gone up so much??  

Does this sound normal?  

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Speeds on Wireless
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 03:46:35 AM »
First, to eliminate other variables, try going to one of the many bandwidth speedtest sites out there and running the test seperately on both machines.  What results do you get?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos