Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MAJOR computer problem.. please help  (Read 4165 times)

jewlee1314

MAJOR computer problem.. please help
« on: April 04, 2004, 01:03:21 PM »
hi. okay well about a month ago i installed a new internet program. ever since then, my computer has been acting really funny. for example.. at first it wouldn't let me show my active desktop, it would show up as that white screen, you know when you shut down your computer improperly? and when i'd click "restore active desktop" it would freeze. so then eventually i figured out how to turn it off, so my desktop would show up.

but thats not even the biggest of my problems.. well i couldn't click on ANYTHING on my desktop. like icons.. it would just not show up. the only thing i could click on that would work (most of the time, not always) would be what was on my quickstart toolbar thingy. my internet explorer wouldn't show up, i'd have to go on my aol instant messenger, and clikc on 'check mail'. then it would freeze, so i would control+alt+delete and end the explorer, and it would refresh it or whatever. my buddy list would ALWAYS freeze. along with my taskbar. but my desktop wouldn't.

and just yesterday i tried doing what i have been doing, but now when i end my explorer, it freezes altogether. now i can't even get on anything.

oh, i have windows me. for awhile my computer wouldn't defrag, but yesterday i went in safemode and it worked (it took practically all day) but my computer steill won't work. PLEASE HELP ME. i'm desperate. and even if you don't know whats causing this.. please could you tell me a website or someone who could help me? thank you

merlin

Re: MAJOR computer problem.. please help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 01:29:34 PM »
Scan for viruses>http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and also scan for trojans website www.lockdowncorp.com and look for swat-it trojan killer..do these first and come back?hth

jewlee1314

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 06:08:28 PM »
alrighty i did both of those, and it says i don't have any viruses/trojans or anything. i restarted my computer after doing them and my computers still messing up just like it was... :-/ any other ideas? thanks for your help though  i appreciate it ;D

Joleen

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 06:30:58 AM »
What was the software you installed and have you been updating your system from Microsoft Update?  I'd get rid of ME asap, it's the single worst set of code MS has ever put out.

merlin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 07:47:36 AM »
type dxdiag in the run box to test graphics and update you driver i have winme and no problem with it since i knocked out the updates its be running ok for nearly three years with no crashes..the virus/worm scan should be done with the system restore disabled most virus hide in there..try this it may help also>http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads12.html the progam is called advanced system optimizer..ok.

torch

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 08:45:28 PM »
Do you have configsafe?

Go to Start - Programs and look in the list. If you have configsafe, start the computer in safe mode and use configsafe to reconfigure at at date earlier than when your problems began.

Jamie

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 05:18:37 PM »
i used 2 hav ME and the same thing happened and i cldnt fix it ad got rid of the machine. but u cld try searching http://www.download.com for adaware