Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing new modem  (Read 4897 times)

Cazzie

installing new modem
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:37:49 AM »
Hi All
I've changed my internet supplier and purchased their modem speedtouch 330 (doing this is because they say I have to use their one if I need any tech support if any problems occur).But I still have my own speedtouch modem USB installed.My question is do I have to uninstall my one first before I install their one with the cd supplied.If so how do I do this,'cause Im not too sure :-?
Hope someone can advice

Thank you
Cazzie

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: installing new modem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:08:39 PM »
It should not be necessary to uninstall your USB modem, but I would definitely unplug it from the PC.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Cazzie

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »
Thanks for your reply
Got a bit of a dilemma now. :-?Last night I unplugged my modem and installed talktalks modem with their connect and go cd everything installed properly through the usb lead and two filters(which I've been using for two years with my other modem with no problems whatsovever).On line last night and today everything fine then all of a sudden my line kept on dropping(just like marsbar on another thread I have just read)message stating no dial tone?On contacting talktalk tech support I couldn't believe what he told me.Even though all installed properly he said it wasn't and to move my computer to my main BT box and install the modem again from there with the usb lead only.:o Is this information correct please advice :-/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:20:43 AM by Cazzie »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
That's just a standard reply - he's reading from a script.  Tey'll need to go through this process to determine where your connection problem lies.  The first thing he's trying to check is the quality of your telephone cabling.  Humour him and try and connect from your BT master socket- that's usually the one where the phone line comes into your house, and it will normally have an embossed BT logo.

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 07:00:17 AM »
Hi
nearly a month later and i am still having problem with line dropping,sometimes cannot get connected at all(especially in the evening)Done all that talktalk tech.support adviced...reinstalled modem by bt socket etc.Going down his list eventually put through to 2nd line team.They checked my phone line and said it was okay then he said (which i couldn't believe) it may be that a lot of people in my area are on the network at the same time therefore its too busy. Is this correct? :-[

Thanks
Cazzie

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 07:34:40 AM »
A busy DSL circuit should not result in connection problems - merely slowness of service.  If you're on a 50:1 contention ratio service, this means that up to 50 people may be using the same circuit.  You should still be able to connect though, even though it might run a little slowly under heavy loading.

Sounds like second line support is little better than first...  Ask them to do a clean line test on the telephone line.  It's quite possible that some cabling needs replacing.

Cazzie

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:09:27 AM »
Hi Again ::)

Talktalk technical support has not helped at all their only response is that the modem isn't installed properly(which it is).I have not been able to access internet in the evening for the past five months.I have decided to go with Bt, eventually got my mack code from tt but tt said since I am canceling my contract early they are charging me a £70 cancelation fee.Also denying that I cannot access the internet at times i said.
So is it possible to take print out logs of modem/my internet access if so could you advice me on how to do this please ;D So I can take them to carphone wearhouse.They are the ones that are breaching the contract as i hav not received the service they promised.

Hoping someone can help ::)

Cazzie

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 03:46:11 AM »
I'm afraid you would not have suitable logs to show them.  But they certainly would have the logs.  I think you need to escalate this to Customer Services - if you get no satisfaction there, ask for a supervisor, and keep going until you find someone with a brain.

Your experiences are unfortunately rather common with TalkTalk/CPW.

Incidentally, I have been researching broadband suppliers myself recently, and the one that seems to come top of the service polls is Zen.  They are not the cheapest internet supplier, but having been burnt by very poor customer service in the past, I think it is worth paying a little bit extra just to get a decent service.

Cazzie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 06:42:58 AM »
Thanks for your reply Rob.Been on the phone to tt most of the morning.Eventually got through to customer services they were no help,they put me through to tech support who put me back through to customer services blah!blah!blah!and there was no supervisor present.Surprise surprise on getting pushed from pillar to post getting no where.I've honestly had enough of them and rather pay the £70 just to get rid. My advice is beware out there and for god sake don't sign up for talktalk broadband. I'm gong back to BT.

Thanks again
Cazzie

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:14:18 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences Cazzie.  Yet another reason not to touch TalkTalk for broadband (UK users beware).

If you still have the energy, it would be worth a formal complaint.  In fact you could cause quite a nuisance for TalkTalk by reporting them to Ofcom (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/).  For every complaint opened against an ISP, the ISP automatically has to pay a complaints handling fee of something like £325, regardless of the outcome of the complaint.  So you could score a minor victory.

Cazzie

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
Hi Rob
Success ;D Last attempt phoned TT with threat of complaint to Ofcom.After speaking to various people eventually got a supervisor(after half hour on phone)long story short now have mac code they're not going to charge me disconnection fee and are sending me out a chegue for £40 for compensation for loss of broadband services.I'm transfering phone line/broadband back to BT on the 10th April. ;)
I'm glad to see the back of talktalk.Again for all out there.../ Please Do Not sign up with these fools. Have a look at this web site http://www.oliverbrown.me.uk/2006/05/17/talktalk-problems/
I wished I know about this site before I went with them.

Thanks for your help and advice Rob I'm now a happy bunny ;)

Cazzie
P.S
Forgot to mention I put a complaint to Ofcom :P

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 12:04:53 PM »
Great Cazzie, I'm glad you persevered.  That's a much better result.  Good work!