Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)  (Read 14857 times)

Raptor

Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:52:28 AM »
How can I remove the fan from a Pentium 1 fan? It does not seem to be attached with screws.

Punga

Re: Removing fan from socket 7 (Pentium 1)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 09:01:20 AM »
Pentium 1 fan eh?...... well..... considering how near ancient it is.... it's probably attached with some REALLY old Thermal stuff....... so just pull as hard as you can........ If you destroy the processor.... meh.... it's just a pentium 1 :P.... I got a few of those sittin around here that I could send you if you want it that bad.

gmcfan

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 09:05:46 AM »
    Is it a Pentium Overdrive? Or does it just have a regular fan?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:26:08 AM »
    Hey, Punga, if you pay the shipping costs you're welcome to send 'm all over.  ;D

It seems that it's a "CPU Cool" CPU Fan.. It's made in America.. Born in the USA, tum tum, Born in the USA..

Wheter it's an Overdrive or not, beats me, I've never before seen a Pentium 1. It's installed on a P55T2P4, judging from what I have read and the colour I'd say it's Asus.

I've got a few other questions;

1. I've got an old 14" Samtron monitor with a 15 male pin connector. A few pins are missing and one's seems to be pushed flat. Does this affect quality in anyway?

2. How do I know if the maximum amount of MB RAM is installed and what would be the most superior RAM out there for old Pentium 1 systems?

Much obliged.

Punga

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 10:02:21 AM »

The pins MIGHT affect the quality if the picture.... ex: more of a red tint or blue or whatever tint to the picture, but that is only a chance.

no idea about the ram...

Nah... not gonna pay for shipping... if you do, I'll send 2 pentium 1's and an old celeron... I have no use for them

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 10:38:36 AM »
    How can I remove the fan from a Pentium 1 fan? It does not seem to be attached with screws.

Does it look like this?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 10:54:16 AM »
    I would upload a photo of the case I am working on, but Uploadit.org is down. Any alternatives?

It does, in a way, look like the photo you posted, Computer Commando. It's entirely black, though. And mine only has one  power connector.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 10:58:11 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 11:03:48 AM »
    Most (if not all) P1's didn't even have fans.  They used large heatsinks.
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:04:54 AM by Computer_Commando »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 11:04:06 AM »
    I seem to have 3 seperate IDE cables per Mainboard; does it matter what IDE cable I place where (Primairy, secundairy and Floppy all seem to be printed on the Mainboard)

I donot know if this goes for ATX mainboards as well, to be honest, I never bothered looking.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 11:11:32 AM »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 11:12:06 AM »
    I seem to have 3 seperate IDE cables per Mainboard; does it matter what IDE cable I place where (Primairy, secundairy and Floppy all seem to be printed on the Mainboard)

I donot know if this goes for ATX mainboards as well, to be honest, I never bothered looking.

Hasn't changed for ATX, primary and secondary are the same (40-pins) and can have 2 or 3 connectors, 1 for the mainboard and up to 2 devices (master and slave).  FDD is different (34-pins), with a twist in the center, it can have 2 or 3 connectors, connector at end is master connector in middle is slave.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 11:16:52 AM »
    That explains the twist I always keep seeing. And here I was thinking of it as a fabrication error...

Do I have to add a secundairy IDE cable? I only require one for the HDD and one for the FDD.

Also, how can I obtain Windows 3.11 and the latest MSDOS?

MS-DOS 7.10
    seems to be able to provide me with 7.10, but is this an official MS-DOS?
    « Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:19:59 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 11:19:33 AM »
    your pic

There should be a Socket 7 hold-down clamp on the heatsink.  Can't see it in the picture.  Remove the whole thing from the ZIF.  If it doesn't come out, the clamp is there, if it does, clamp is missing.

Here's the instructions:  http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/cpufan/socket7/vantec_2.htm

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 11:20:32 AM »
    There is a brownish clamp, indeed. I did not want to use it because I wasn't sure wheter that would remove the fan as well.

I have tried using it, but it doesn't budge. The fan does not seem to be connected as it is displayed on the photos. Could it be that it is just glued on using some sort of dubious thermal paste?

Also, I've got an IDE cable with a twist in it that seems to have 5 connectors - 3 small ones and 2 big ones. What are those used for?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:23:51 AM by Raptor »

Computer_Commando

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:39:51 AM »
    That explains the twist I always keep seeing. And here I was thinking of it as a fabrication error...

Do I have to add a secundairy IDE cable? I only require one for the HDD and one for the FDD.

Also, how can I obtain Windows 3.11 and the latest MSDOS?

MS-DOS 7.10
    seems to be able to provide me with 7.10, but is this an official MS-DOS?

FDD cable hasn't changed since 1st PC, 5 1/4" drive will work, too.

Not required to connect secondary IDE, BIOS will auto-detect.  Old BIOS might not detect drives larger than 500MB (not GB).

MS-DOS 7.1 is DOS for Win98.  Win3.1 requires DOS6.22
    Win3.11 is Windows for Workgroups.

http://www.computerhope.com/win3x.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows

http://www.computerhope.com/history/windows.htm
    http://www.computerhope.com/history/dos.htm