Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless, unable to connect when SSID is disabled?  (Read 4344 times)

pop3p

Wireless, unable to connect when SSID is disabled?
« on: March 12, 2007, 06:23:01 PM »
2wire 1800HG Gateway, generic wireless network card.  Windows XP media 2002.  No problem connecting when SSID is enabled but can't connect when SSID is disabled.  Can somebody shed some light please.  

My laptop has not problem connecting even when SSID is disabled, running Windows ME ( three years old).

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Wireless, unable to connect when SSID is disab
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:03:41 AM »
I suspect hardware incompatibility.  Are you using Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

pop3p

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »
Thanks for your reply, since then I have done some research and found that Windows XP SP2 uses SSID to connect, disabled the SSID will result in no connections.  No way around it.

My laptop with Windows ME (three years old) does not have this problem.  On Microsoft website there was a bunch on discussion on this issue.

MP

johnwill

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:03:14 PM »
Disabling SSID broadcasts is a very weak security measure in any case, so it's probably not a big loss.  If you use WPA/WPA2 with a long and random key (20 characters or more), you're quite well protected.  SSID hiding, MAC filtering, disabling DHCP, etc., only make it harder for you to use your network, they pose no significant obstacle to a hacker.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 05:07:28 PM »
I wouldn't completely agree with that.  MAC filtering for example, although not impervious to ARP poisoning attacks will to some extent put off all but the most patient of crackers.  War drivers will tend to go for the easier targets first...

johnwill

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »
I wouldn't completely agree with that.  MAC filtering for example, although not impervious to ARP poisoning attacks will to some extent put off all but the most patient of crackers.  War drivers will tend to go for the easier targets first...
My point is that if you use WPA/WPA2, the rest is redundant and unnecessary.  I have dealt with a number of folks that had MAC filtering on, then forgot it and wondered why they couldn't connect their new machine.  You have to remember, if the hacker lives next door, he could be patient.  All he really has to do is wait for you to be disconnected, since the MAC is transmitted in the clear.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:07:19 AM »
When it comes to security, belt-and-braces is the best approach.  But that's just my opinion.

And surely part of the joy of being in I.T. is that you get to chide users when they lock themselves out!  ;D

pop3p

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  Now I have another prolem. Trying to setup a network printer.  I plugged my HP All In One 2600 to my router and went through the setup wizard but my computer can't find it.  I turned off the firewall on my Norton Security as well as Windows firewall but my computer still can't see the printer?

MP

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:39:29 AM »
Have you configured the printer to use the same subnet as the rest of your LAN?  You may need to connect it directly to a PC to do this, or possibly you can do it through the control panel on the printer.